- "They wait in the wings, too weak to participate, but patient, knowing that at some point the fighting will cease and then they can swoop in to take what they will ..."
- ―Rivoche Tarkin
- "Just so, in all wars there are people who exploit the carnage for their own gain. This is no different now, as Empire and Republic clash, than it was millennia ago during the chaos of Xim's reign."
- ―Rivoche Tarkin
Some sentient species were predominantly scavengers, such as Jawas, Teeks and Ugors. It was also a common occupation for Humans and near-Humans. Though many scavengers were honorable, the term "scav" or "scavver" was sometimes used as an insult.
Meetra Surik encountered some small camps of salvagers on the planet Dantooine, who tried to live by selling the Jedi artifacts they had found in the ruins of the Jedi Enclave in the years after Darth Malak's attack. These salvagers generally held beings with regular jobs in contempt, and would have been particularly pleased if the settlers had been driven off the planet.
Salvage droids were commonly used to collect debris at podraces during the last decades of the Galactic Republic. Other scavenger droids were less benign, and were used by Trandoshans to kill people and "scavenge" their corpses.
During the height of the Galactic Empire, salvagers that wished to operate needed to register with the Imperial Trade and Commerce Authority. This company was notoriously bureaucratic and receiving the proper permits from them could take months and sometimes even years. Additionally, if a salvager wished to work under the Empire, they would have to submit to an extensive background check. These requirements sometimes lead to aspiring scavengers to forge the proper permits.
- Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin
- Planets of the Galaxy, Volume Two
- Star Wars Gamemaster Handbook
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- "The Free-Trader's Guide to Sevarcos"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 2
- The Star Wars Planets Collection
- "Smugglers of the Outer Rim"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 5
- Shadows of the Empire Planets Guide
- Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids
- Gundark's Fantastic Technology: Personal Gear
- Star Wars: The Art of the Brothers Hildebrandt
- Enter the Unknown
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
- Strongholds of Resistance
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Dark Empire Sourcebook
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: Republic Commando
- ↑ The Illustrated Star Wars Universe
- ↑ Scavenger Hunt.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- ↑ Legacy 14: Claws of the Dragon, Part 1
- ↑ In Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, if Meetra Surik takes the dark side path and sides with Azkul, the salvagers remain on the world and gloat about the settlers' loss. It is therefore possible to infer that they would enjoy this turn of events even if it did not canonically occur.
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ "Death-Hunter"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 9, p. 204
- ↑ Dark Empire