|Scimitar assault bomber|
Scimitar assault bomber
Approximately 120,000 credits
None (can be equipped as an upgrade)
200 kilograms (250 cm²)
Detachable command pod
The Scimitar assault bomber had a single elongated body, and the pilot and gunner sat in a forward, shaped module which could eject from the craft and serve as an escape pod. The fuselage was supported by two large elongated array wings on either side. Interlocked repulsorlift thrusters provided it with additional maneuverability.
In space, the Scimitar assault bomber was faster than any TIE Bomber, and, in planetary atmospheres, it could travel at 1,150 km per hour, with its dive-bombing speed an additional 100 km per hour faster.
It was 13.8 meters long, and thus longer than the standard TIE/LN starfighter. Its weapons included two laser cannons, concussion missile launchers, and chutes for thermal detonators and proton grenades. However, instead of two ion engines, it only had one, thus the lack of the prefix TIE. It was designed to bomb planets into submission.
During Grand Admiral Thrawn's campaign to retake the Core Worlds from the New Republic, the Scimitar assault bombers were developed as a new generation of TIE/sa bombers. Before this, some Imperial generals employed a TIE bomber type very similar to the Scimitar.[source?]Kir Kanos used a Scimitar to destroy Emperor's Revenge above Yinchorr. He programmed a service droid to self-destruct the bomber in the Star Destroyer's hangar bay, killing everyone aboard the warship.
- Dark Force Rising (First appearance)
- Crimson Empire
- The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force
- Legacy of the Force: Revelation
- Dark Force Rising Sourcebook
- The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook
- Star Wars Gamemaster Screen, Revised
- "Special Military Unit Intelligence Update"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 15
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Starships of the Galaxy (2001)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 86 (SCI1-2, Scimitar Assault Bomber)
- Starships of the Galaxy (Saga Edition)
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 3
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 13
Notes and referencesEdit