Operation Trinity was a military operation fought near the end of the Yuuzhan Vong War. It was one of the few battles to involve the Galactic Federation of Free Alliances and the Imperial Remnant fighting alongside each other.
The Galactic Federation of Free Alliances, in an effort to cut off Coruscant from the major systems in the Inner and Mid Rims, launched three major attacks within a month or so of time—one at Duro, another at Fondor, and the last at Bilbringi. The attack was orchestrated by Supreme Commander Sien Sovv and three of his other commanders: Admiral Traest Kre'fey, General Wedge Antilles and General Garm Bel Iblis.
Dubbed as Operation Trinity, the task force was divided into three groups: Alpha Fleet led by Antilles took the point, supported by Beta Fleet led by Grand Admiral Gilad Pellaeon, and Gamma Fleet led by Kre'fey. The first point of the operation was for Antilles to enter the system and scout for any weakness in the enemy fleet. Then he was to send the most tactically suitable entry points to the other two fleets.
However, just before Antilles' fleet went in, the Yuuzhan Vong released their latest creation, the mabugat kan, which brought down several HoloNet relay stations. Since the entire operation depended on HoloNet transmissions to coordinate their attack, Antilles was unable to call in the other fleets for help. His fleet was trapped in a system full of hostiles, and the formation took heavy losses.
Many of his ships were destroyed in the battle, most notably the Interdictor Cruiser Memory of Ithor commanded by General Pash Cracken. Antilles did inflict heavy casualties to the Yuuzhan Vong forces, destroying the Interdictors and several other vessels.
Antilles' fleet narrowly escaped being completely obliterated by the Yuuzhan Vong. Only an order by Antilles to reduce the Mon Mothma's shields saved the fleet. The Yuuzhan Vong retreated, thinking that the Star Destroyer's main reactor was going critical; along with the timely intervention of a cloaked Golan Defense Platform commandeered by Han Solo, it allowed Mon Mothma and the remaining vessels of Alpha Fleet to retreat to Mon Calamari.
Antilles later met up with Pellaeon's fleet after the battle was over.
Behind the scenesEdit
Fleet Group Alpha, the battle group commanded by Wedge Antilles, is described as comprising less than a third of the Yuuzhan Vong force in the system, yet with at least seven capital ships commanded by Antilles and fourteen in the Yuuzhan Vong command, this sizing ratio is inaccurate.
- The Final Prophecy (First appearance)
- The Unifying Force (Mentioned only)
- Revelation (Indirect mention only)
- The New Essential Chronology
- "The 100 Greatest Things About Star Wars... Ever!"—Star Wars Insider 100 (Indirect mention only)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ The Final Prophecy
- ↑ The Unifying Force
- ↑ Using the text of The Unifying Force, it is possible to place the Recapture of Coruscant nineteen days after the start of the novel, and the Battle of Esfandia (and thus the end of Force Heretic III: Reunion) two months prior to the start of The Unifying Force. The Recapture of Coruscant occurs in 64:6 per The Essential Atlas, and by working backwards, at the very least the Battle of Esfandia must fall in 29 ABY. The Final Prophecy also places its events as more than two years after the Battle of Coruscant, which occurs in 62:4. Thus, The Final Prophecy, which occurs between Reunion and The Unifying Force, must fall in 29 ABY, despite The Essential Reader's Companion's placement of it in 28 ABY.