Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "Because we were willing to die for our cause, we became the Death Watch, led by the Secret Mandalores. To ensure we would be led by the most powerful, we decreed that any warrior could challenge the Secret Mandalore for leadership of Death Watch. And as our symbol of authority we chose the Darksaber, an ancient weapon liberated from the Jedi long ago."
- ―Tor Vizsla
The Secret Mandalore was the title given to the leader of the radical Mandalorian splinter group known as the Death Watch. Also known as an Overlord, these individuals held that they were the true claimants to the traditional role of Mand'alor, leader of the Mandalorian people and clans.
Notable Secret MandaloresEdit
- "People of Mandalore, I am Pre Vizsla of Clan Vizsla. Death Watch is here to save you from these intergalactic gangsters that threaten our great city. This is a war, and we will win! Join me, and let us defend Mandalore against the criminals. We need action, not pacifism!"
- ―Pre Vizsla
At the start of the Clone Wars, Pre Vizsla had stood publicly as the governor of Concordia, one of Mandalore's two moons, but in secret, he was the latest leader of the radical Mandalorian splinter group known as Death Watch. Vizsla despised the pacifistic New Mandalorians and their leader, Duchess Satine Kryze, believing the Mandalorians would be better off reclaiming their ancient role as conquering warriors. To this end, Vizsla aligned Death Watch with the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars, promising his support to the cause if the Confederacy's leader, Count Dooku, aided him in deposing Kryze. Despite their efforts to manipulate the Galactic Republic into moving against Mandalore, believing an armed Republic occupation would trigger the New Mandalorian populous to violently rebel and rally to Death Watch, Kryze was able to stem the Republic's occupation plans by speaking out before the Galactic Senate on Coruscant, and Vizsla's plans were dashed. Death Watch was eventually exiled from the Mandalore system, and Pre Vizsla had a falling out with Dooku that left his face scarred and his hatred for the Confederate leader immense. Vizsla led the now nomadic Death Watch across the galaxy, settling on the snowy world of Carlac, before moving on to the swamp-covered moon of Zanbar.
During one of Death Watch's travels, Vizsla came across the Sith Lord Darth Maul, and through the Zabrak Sith, found a new path to overturning the New Mandalorians' pacifism. Vizsla formed an alliance with Maul, and together they established a criminal contingent known as the Shadow Collective by recruiting elements of Black Sun, the spice-dealing Pyke Syndicate, and the foot soldiers of the Hutt Cartels. With their army of criminals, Vizsla and Maul put a plan for overthrowing the New Mandalorian government into action: the Collective's gangsters would assault the New Mandalorian capital city of Sundari and create chaos, making Duchess Kryze appear weak in the eyes of her people, only for Death Watch to arrive and rescue the New Mandalorian citizenry from their attackers and win public favor. The plan went as intended, with the New Mandalorian police unable to combat the numbers and firepower of the offworld criminals; the New Mandalorian people sought the aid of an administration that could do nothing to protect them, and it was only when Death Watch took to combating the criminals overtaking Sundari that order was restored. With the backing of the people, Pre Vizsla stormed the Sundari Royal Palace and had Kryze arrested. The Secret Mandalore of Death Watch took his place as the new Mand'alor of the New Mandalorians. Vizsla's time as Mand'alor was short-lived, however, for with his goals met, he turned upon his Sith ally and tried to have Darth Maul incarcerated. Maul escaped his confines and challenged Vizsla to a fight to the death for leadership. Though Vizsla fought fiercely, making use of the full arsenal his Mandalorian armor made available to him, he was defeated and killed by Maul, who proclaimed himself to be the new leader of Death Watch and Secret Mandalore.
- "I claim this sword, and my rightful place as leader of Death Watch!"
"Never! No outsider will ever rule Mandalore!"
- ―Darth Maul and Bo-Katan Kryze
From a young age, the Dathomir-native named Maul was raised and trained as a Sith by the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Sidious. Becoming Sidious' Sith apprentice and earning the title of Darth upon his ascendance to Sith Lord, Maul became a fearsome force in his master's plan to conquer the galaxy. However, his time under Sidious was cut short when, in 32 BBY, Maul was grievously wounded by the Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi while on Naboo. Cut in half at the waist, it was only Maul's hatred and the power of the dark side of the Force that kept him alive, languishing for years in squalor on a garbage-covered world where his body had ended up until he was found, half insane, by his estranged brother, Savage Opress. Opress took Maul back to Dathomir, where his mind was restored and he was given new cybernetic legs by the Nightsister Mother Talzin. Possessed of his faculties once more, Maul set out to exact revenge upon Kenobi, taking Opress as his own Sith apprentice.
Maul's pursuit of vengeance eventually led him into an alliance with the radical Mandalorian Death Watch and their leader, Pre Vizsla. Seeing their combat prowess and efficiency as useful, the Sith agreed to help Vizsla topple the regime of the pacifist New Mandalorians. Together they assembled a collective of criminals comprised of gangsters from Black Sun, the Pyke Syndicate, and the Hutt kajidics, only to set them lose on the New Mandalorian capital of Sundari to spread fear and chaos in order to undermine the pacifist administration. With the people in a panic, Death Watch was sent in to stop the criminals, putting on a show for the populace that won the public's favor. Disgraced, the New Mandalorian leader Satine Kryze was deposed and Pre Vizsla took her place, only to immediately turn upon Maul and his apprentice. Unbeknownst to the Death Watch leader, Maul had anticipated his betrayal: the Sith Lord challenged Vizsla to a duel for leadership, killing him and proclaiming himself to be the new Secret Mandalore. Maul's right to lead was challenged by elements of the Death Watch loyal to Vizsla's lieutenant, Bo-Katan Kryze, who refused to follow a non-Mandalorian like Maul, instead breaking away from those who swore fealty to the Sith Lord. Maul reinstated the former Prime Minister Almec to serve as a puppet ruler for Maul while he remained unseen by the galaxy at large. Despite this, Maul's former master, Darth Sidious, was able to track his one-time apprentice to the planet Mandalore, where he engaged Maul and Savage Opress in a lightsaber battle that ended with Opress's demise and a beaten Maul brought to heel by the Dark Lord of the Sith for his own purposes.
- Darth Plagueis (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Bounty Hunter
- Jango Fett: Open Seasons (First appearance) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Republic Commando: Hard Contact (Mentioned only)
- The Clone Wars: Secret Missions 3: Duel at Shattered Rock
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voyage of Temptation"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duchess of Mandalore"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Corruption" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Friend in Need"
- Star Wars: The Wrath of Darth Maul
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A War on Two Fronts" (Mentioned only)
- The Clone Wars: Darth Maul: Shadow Conspiracy
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"
- Order 66: A Republic Commando Novel (Mentioned only)
- Imperial Commando: 501st
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (First identified as Overlord)
- Rebellion 4: My Brother, My Enemy, Part 4 (Picture only)
- Legacy of the Force: Sacrifice (Mentioned only)
- The Bounty Hunter Code: From the Files of Boba Fett (First identified as Secret Mandalore)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 The Bounty Hunter Code: From the Files of Boba Fett
- ↑ The Essential Guide to Warfare
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 The Clone Wars: Darth Maul: Shadow Conspiracy
- ↑ Imperial Commando: 501st
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars Galaxies
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot"
- ↑ The Essential Atlas
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duchess of Mandalore"
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Friend in Need"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- ↑ Darth Plagueis
- ↑ Star Wars: The Wrath of Darth Maul
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revenge"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"