|Secutor-class Star Destroyer|
Secutor-class Star Destroyer
Multiple smaller craft.
Two ventral hangar bays.
Its length and volume would normally have put it in the battlecruiser-scale of the Anaxes War College System, specifically under Star Cruiser, but it was lightly armed for its size and had extensive carrier-capability and was instead designated as a Star Destroyer.
Offensive and defensive systemsEdit
This Star Destroyer class had several gun batteries lining the dorsal superstructure, on a diagonal ridge in front of the command tower.
The Secutor-class Star Destroyer was designed early in Imperial history, or possibly late in Republic history, as evidenced by the common design elements it shared with the Venator-class Star Destroyer, which was itself designed and built near the beginning of the Clone Wars.
Several ships of this class were serviced at Naval Station Validusia. In 10 ABY, at least one vessel of this class was part of the fleet orbiting Byss when Luke Skywalker was brought to the planet to face the then-resurrected Emperor Palpatine.
Behind the scenesEdit
This design originated as a fanon vessel made by Ansel Hsiao, basing his design on a background vessel from Dark Empire 2: Devastator of Worlds, which was cataloged by Curtis Saxton as "anonymous star destroyer #3" on his fansite. The name chosen by the artist for its class is the Latin word for "a gladiator armed with sword and shield". On a related note, on his website, Hsiao cited this ship as being one of his favorite large ships because of it both being a fun design and bearing some resemblance to a Flying Wing.
When approached by Lucas Licensing to provide artwork for The Essential Guide to Warfare, Hsiao submitted his own designs in addition to new models, along with their names. The names were recorded in LFL's Holocron continuity database, according to the artist. According to Jason Fry, one of the authors of the Essential Guide to Warfare, the class specifications were also approved by Lucasfilm.
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Jason Fry's tumblr account - EG to Warfare: Endnotes Pt. 7. (First identified as Secutor-class Star Destroyer)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Stardestroyer.net art thread where Ansel Hsiao (Fractalsponge) mentions LFL putting the names in the Holocron.
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 EG to Warfare: Endnotes Pt. 7
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 The Essential Guide to Warfare
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Dark Empire 2: Devastator of Worlds
- ↑ Stardestroyer.net art thread. Hsiao notes the Dark Empire reference for the design.
- ↑ University of Notre Dame Latin Dictionary and Grammar Aid
- ↑ http://fractalsponge.net/3D%20Projects.htm