- "...we'll have a couple of surprises for him."
- ―Jango Fett
A seismic charge (also sonic mine or sonic charge) was a weapon released from a starship, capable of unleashing a devastatingly explosive shock wave. Seismic charges were commonly filled with a mix of baradium and volatile collapsium gas.
|Seismic charge.ogg (info)|
|An exploding Void-7 seismic charge|
|Problems listening to the file? See media help.|
A few seconds after launch, a seismic charge would detonate into a blue ball-shaped explosion which had the unusual side-effect of drawing in all sound from a given area around it. This small explosion soon collapsed in upon itself before releasing a shock wave of energy that would obliterate material in its path. They were particularly effective in asteroid fields, enabling the pilot to clear an area of hazardous asteroids. Such seismic waves were even capable of penetrating thin durasteel plating, though the Void-7 seismic charge was much more powerful.
Behind the scenesEdit
The detonation of this weapon and subsequent shockwave are similar to the process through which a massive star dies by becoming a supernova, albeit at a greatly enhanced rate and utilizing primarily energy instead of matter.
The sound from an explosion of this weapon is an interesting take on the Star Wars "ignorance" of the fact that there is no sound in a vacuum. There is no sound at the start of a blast, but there is still the impossible phenomenon of sound in space afterward. The idea during the production of Episode II was that the charge would suck in and absorb all the sound around it (such as the sounds of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Jango Fett's ships during their fight in the Geonosis asteroid belt), and then release them in a sonic explosion, resulting in the shockwave effect heard in the explosion sound.
- Star Wars Adventures 4: Jango Fett vs. the Razor Eaters
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones novel
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones junior novel
- Star Wars: Empire at War
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
- Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 74 (Sonic Weaponry)
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- The New Essential Chronology (A seismic tank is referred to as a "seismic charge minelayer")
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption: Prima Official Game Guide