- "It's a BB unit with a selenium drive and thermal hyperscan vindicator, internal self-correcting gyroscopic propulsion system, optics corrected to—"
- ―Rey to Kylo Ren, regarding BB-8
Selenium was a substance that could be used in the composition of drives of BB-series astromech droids. When Kylo Ren pressed Rey for details about the droid known as BB-8, she listed technical specifications such as a selenium drive, evading the real focus of Ren's inquiry: the map to Luke Skywalker that the droid contained.
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel (Mentioned only)
- The Force Awakens, Part V (Mentioned only)