- "Concentrate all your fire on the nearest starship."
- ―Yoda commanding SPHA-Ts during the Battle of Geonosis
The Self-Propelled Heavy Artillery Turbolaser (SPHA-T), also known as the Self-Propelled Heavy Artillery (SPHA), was a 12-legged gun platform manufactured by Rothana Heavy Engineering. They were the largest ground based weapons used by the Grand Army of the Republic in the Clone Wars. During the Imperial Era, SPHA-Ts were used by the Imperial Artillery Corps of the Galactic Empire.
Combining the devastating firepower of a permanent laser cannon emplacement with the ability to liberally walk into battle on powerful articulated legs, the Self-Propelled Heavy Artillery Turbolaser (SPHA-T), also known as the Self-Propelled Heavy Artillery (SPHA), was the largest ground based weapons in the arsenal of the Grand Army of the Republic at 140.2 meters in length. It only used its twelve legs when maneuvering between firing positions; when attacking an enemy target, a SPHA-T remained motionless to give its gunners added precision for aiming its extraordinarily heavy turbolaser beam. Although it took no less than 30 specialized clone troopers to man each gun platform, they were powerful and effective enough to blast through starship shields and hulls. However, SPHA-Ts could only be charged up to a certain level.
Manufactured by Rothana Heavy Engineering, 100 SPHA-Ts were deployed in key positions on several battlefronts during the Battle of Geonosis, the opening battle of the Clone Wars. They were deployed in squads of four at the rear of advancing All Terrain Tactical Enforcers, while Low Altitude Assault Transport/carriers ensured they were well defended by AT-TEs and infantry on foot, who were mobilized around and in front of SPHA-Ts to a distance of several kilometers. SPHA-Ts provided an impregnable line of defense for the fleet of Acclamator-class transgalactic military assault ships that landed immediately outside the Petranaki arena, which supplied an assembly point for the deadly juggernauts. During the battle, they proved particularly effective on the battlefield commanded by Jedi Master Yoda, who ordered a squad of SPHA-Ts to focus fire upon a fleeing core ship; this caused antigrav repulsorlift malfunctions that grated a tractor beam effect with the ground, greatly accelerating its fall and destroying the ship. However, after these shots, the SPHA-Ts had to be replaced with charged guns from the rear lines.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "They are in Attack of the Clones. They just look a little different. I had them redesigned to look a little more Godzilla-like for our purpose."
- ―Dave Filoni clarifies the connection between the stun cannon tank and the SPHA-T
Originally created for the 2002 film Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones, the Self-Propelled Heavy Artillery was designed in concept sketches by Concept Design Supervisor Erik Tiemens. His initial concepts had the self-propelled cannon be mounted on treads, but George Lucas instead suggested that it be a walker like its AT-TE cousin. During production, the SPHA-T was called "Clone Tank A." An early animatic featured SPHA-Ts being deployed from Acclamator-class assault ships on Geonosis, though this scene was cut from the final film.
- Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Complete Season Two
- Star Wars: The Complete Saga
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Self-Propelled Heavy Artillery Turbolaser)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Dawn of Rebellion
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Dawn of Rebellion
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones DVD commentaries
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Complete Season Two—Behind the Story: Attack of the Zillo Beast