A sensor was one of a wide range of complex devices that helped gather information about a given subject. Commonly found on vehicles and starships, sensors gathered information about the area surrounding the craft, and helped accentuate threats and hazards. Passive-mode sensors repeatedly scanned the same area, while scan-mode sensors had a longer range and collected data by emitting pulses in all directions, and search-mode sensors focused on a specific area for further analysis. Data accumulated from scans was then fed directly into a sensor computer and relayed to the vehicle's operator. Due to the practical benefits of sensor systems, most starships had sensor suites which could analyze a wide range of spectra such as cronau radiation, which all ships emitted upon entering hyperspace.
Despite this, sensor systems could be fooled through advanced anti-detection technologies, such as through cloaking devices or natural phenomena such as solar fluctuations, cosmic radiation and asteroid fields.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rookies" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Gungan Attack"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revival"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sabotage"
- Dark Disciple
- Adventures in Wild Space: The Escape
- Adventures in Wild Space: The Snare
- Adventures in Wild Space: The Nest
- A New Dawn
- A New Hero (Mentioned only)
- The Rebellion Begins
- Princess Leia, Part IV
- "Turning Point"—Star Wars Insider 169 (Mentioned only)
- "Blade Squadron: Kuat"—Star Wars Insider 168
- "The Perfect Weapon" (Mentioned only)
- "The Crimson Corsair and the Lost Treasure of Count Dooku"
- Before the Awakening
- Star Wars Special: C-3PO: The Phantom Limb
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novel (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- Star Wars: Rey's Survival Guide
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections
- ; image #12 (of 17)
- ; image #6 (of 8)