- "Are you brainless? You almost got us killed!"
"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn and Jar Jar Binks
Sentience was the ability of a species to think intelligently. Some sentient species in the galaxy included Humans, the Ewoks, the Patitites, the Gungans, and the Geonosians. Non-sentient organics of the animal kingdom were variously referred to as "creatures" or "beasts." There also existed creatures that appeared to have emerging sentience, such as the Zillo Beast.
Under the laws of the Galactic Republic, sentient beings could not be used as slaves. However, slavery thrived on certain remote planets such as Tatooine, and was considered a profitable trade among the Zygerrians. Most droids were afforded programming that did not allow them to harm organic sentient beings, with notable exceptions such as police droids and battle droids.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Kanan 3: The Last Padawan, Part III: Pivot (Mentioned)
- Leia, Princess of Alderaan
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- "Fully Operational"—From a Certain Point of View
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Aftermath: Life Debt
- The Legends of Luke Skywalker
- "Bait"—Star Wars Insider 162
- Join the Resistance
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- "Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing"—Canto Bight
- "The Wine in Dreams"—Canto Bight
- "Tales from Wild Space: The Best Pet"—Star Wars Adventures 5
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- (First identified as Sentience)