A sentientologist (also referred to as a sapientologist or an anthropologist) was a scientist who studied the biology, culture, and history of the galaxy's wide variety of sentient races and species. The University of Sanbra's Sentient Studies Department was one of the main centers for the study of sentientology. Scholars at the University of Coruscant were also influential in the field. Under the New Republic, a multi-species committee of scholars at the University of Coruscant were responsible for classifying species as sentient, semi-sentient, or non-sentient.
Prominent sentientologists of the Imperial era included:
- Obo Rin, an Imperial functionary who wrote two editions of Catalog of Intelligent Life in the Galaxy under Darth Vader's sponsorship.
- Ditwar Logas, a renowned scholar who Obo Rin enhanced his reputation by claiming to have worked with (though these claims were suspect).
- Tem Eliss, an Iyra professor at the University of Sanbra who wrote The University of Sanbra Guide to Intelligent Life.
- Senior Anthropologist Mammon Hoole, an independent Shi'ido researcher who was the major contributor to The Essential Guide to Alien Species.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Shadow of Revan (Mentioned only)
- Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu (as Anthropologist)
- Splinter of the Mind's Eye (First appearance) (as Anthropologist)
- Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races
- Planets of the Galaxy, Volume One
- The Star Wars Planets Collection
- Galaxy Guide 12: Aliens — Enemies and Allies
- The Essential Guide to Alien Species
- Lords of the Expanse
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 3 (TAT2, TAT4, Tatooine)
- The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
- Galaxy of Intrigue (anthropologist)