- "My message is for you, from the Emperor himself."
- ―A sentinel, to Captain Lerr Duvat
Sentinels were a droid model used by the Galactic Empire after the death of Galactic Emperor Sheev Palpatine during the Battle of Endor. The droids were manufactured in the Imperial base on the planet Vetine, and were capable of playing pre-recorded messages from their head.
Sentinels were humanoid in shape, and their bodies greatly resembled that of B1 battle droids once used by the Trade Federation during the Invasion of Naboo and the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars. However, contrary to those battle droids, sentinels were clothed in bright red robes that resembled those once worn by the Emperor's Royal Guard. Over those robes, some of them wore red jackets that had gloves built in. Others, however, had no such hand coverings. Also unlike battle droids, sentinels had heads that resembled a helmet with a smooth glass dome. Their glass masks were in fact screens used to display lifelike images of the late Palpatine's face. Finally, sentinels had human-like five-fingered hands with a holoprojector built at the center of their palms, and a retractable needle that allowed them to verify the identity of a message's recipient by analyzing their blood.
The sentinels were created as part of the Contingency. Most of them were merely messengers: they appeared, verified the identity of the message's recipient, gave commands, and left. The ones reserved for Gallius Rax, however, were much more independent and closer to actual sentience. They were also capable of piloting starships and of killing intruders when protecting secret assets.
The sentinels were first made in or prior to 20 BBY, when Palpatine was still the Supreme Chancellor of the Galactic Republic engulfed in the pan-galactic Clone Wars against the Confederacy of Independent Systems. At the time, many were assigned to the protection of the recently built Observatory on Jakku, one of many similar buildings scattered across the galaxy.
In the days following the Emperor's death at the Battle of Endor, a sentinel traveled aboard a Lambda-class T-4a shuttle to the Star Destroyer Torment, captained by Lerr Duvat, at Rendezvous Point: Victim in the Outer Rim. The sentinel met Duvat aboard the ship's bridge, after Duvat had dismissed his officers. Upon verifying Duvat's identity with blood, the sentinel delivered a posthumous message from Emperor Palpatine, stating that Operation: Cinder was to begin immediately. The sentinel then presented Duvat with his target: the Mid Rim world of Naboo.
In 5 ABY, three months after Endor, the Rebel heroes Luke Skywalker and Shara Bey discovered a manufacturing line of sentinels while carrying out a mission to retrieve fragments of a Force-sensitive tree from an Imperial base on Vetine. Said line was destroyed during the confrontation between the Rebels and Commandant Hurron's troops.
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Shattered Empire, Part II (First appearance)
- Shattered Empire, Part IV
- Aftermath: Life Debt (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath: Empire's End (First identified as sentinel)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Shattered Empire, Part IV
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 Shattered Empire, Part II
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Aftermath: Empire's End
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 In Aftermath: Empire's End, the sentinels are shown to have existed at least twenty-five years prior to the novel's present time. Since Empire's End features the Battle of Jakku, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places in 5 ABY, the date of 20 BBY can be deduced using simple math.
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Deception"
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas says that Shara Bey and Kes Dameron moved to Yavin 4 in 5 ABY. They moved shortly after the mission to Vetine, placing this event in 5 ABY.