The Separatist Council, also known as the Council of Separatists, the Separatist Union, or the Leadership Council, was the legislative branch of the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars, the conflict between the Galactic Republic and the Confederacy itself, which was seeking to leave the former. Sith Lord Count Dooku originally summoned wealthy businesspeople and politicians to the planet Geonosis, where they formed a pact with a common goal: to create a "new" governing body for the galaxy and obliterate the Republic. The members of the Council participated actively during the war, leading brigades of battle droids against the forces of the Republic, though mainly to further their own ends.
During the course of the war, bounties were placed on the Council members' heads, which led to their rendezvous at the planet Belderone. Shortly after, however, the public leader and Head of the Council, Dooku, died at the hands of the young Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker. The Council was placed under the personal protection of General Grievous, Supreme Commander of the Separatist Droid Army, and now leader of the Separatist Movement and the Council. The Council members, along with Grievous, were relocated to the planet Utapau due to security issues, but were discovered by Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi and an armada of clone troopers.
Sith Lord Darth Sidious ordered the Council relocated to the planet Mustafar—a wise move, considering a large battle erupted shortly after their departure. The Council departed, and Grievous was killed by Kenobi in the midst of the battle. Nute Gunray became Head of the Council, and he and the rest of the corporate conglomerates were placed in charge of the Confederacy. Darth Sidious sent Skywalker, by now christened the Sith Lord Darth Vader, to eliminate the Confederacy's remaining leaders. It was on Mustafar that the members of the Separatist Council were massacred one by one by the vengeful Sith Lord.
Pre-War and Geonosis
- "The Banking Clan will sign your treaty!"
- ―San Hill
With Count Dooku's political ambition to create a separate galactic body opposite the Galactic Republic, the dominant galactic government of the time, many of the galaxy's largest financial and political benefactors decided to join Dooku's movement under the lure of free trade zones. These included Nute Gunray, Viceroy of the Trade Federation; Passel Argente of the Corporate Alliance; Tikkes of the Quarren Isolation League; Wat Tambor, the foreman of the Techno Union; Poggle the Lesser of Geonosian Industries; and Shu Mai of the Commerce Guild. These individuals and several others were summoned to the planet Geonosis, where they would formally join the Separatist Movement and organize an army to destroy the Republic. Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi arrived on Geonosis before being captured and imprisoned, though he discovered Dooku's plot before being apprehended. Jedi Padawan Anakin Skywalker and Senator Padmé Amidala promptly proceeded to Geonosis in an attempt to rescue Kenobi, though were also apprehended by bounty hunter Jango Fett shortly after their arrival.
The Council attended the trial of Amidala and Skywalker shortly before the duo and Master Kenobi were sentenced to death in the Petranaki arena. The Jedi and the Senator managed to survive, however, and were reinforced by approximately 200 Jedi and a large number of clone troopers. This battle started the Clone Wars, sealing the fate of the newly formed Separatist Council and ensuring that their loyalties lay with Dooku.
The War, Belderone and Utapau
Throughout the course of the war, the members of the Council were held on a very loose leash; they were free to do as they pleased—though their numerous plots and escapades proved to be more of a hindrance than a help, at least in Dooku's mind. Nute Gunray continued to attempt to assassinate Padmé Amidala, though unsuccessfully, and attempted to hold his citadel on Cato Neimoidia. Wat Tambor and Passel Argente spied on each other, while San Hill and Shu Mai attempted to hold Muunilinst and Felucia, respectively. Queen Miraj Scintel of Zygerria, however, now a Councilor, abused her position on the Council to make slave trade easier and far more profitable for her organization. She invited fellow Council members Wat Tambor and Shu Mai to a live auction on her homeland and territory, Zygerria, eventually enslaving Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker. When ordered to kill her new bodyguard, she disobeyed, which led to her death at the hands of Count Dooku.
In the final stages of the Clone Wars, the Council was to hide in the Outer Rim on General Grievous's orders, due to Republic victories at Separatist strongholds in major CIS systems, such as the Battle of Felucia, where Shu Mai attempted to poison the planet's water supply and barely escaped with her life. Trade Federation Viceroy Nute Gunray traveled to Cato Neimoidia before it fell to purge his citadel of any remaining treasures he "could not live without," before Jedi Knights Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Plo Koon took the system. In his haste to evacuate, Gunray accidentally left his Mechno-chair behind—which held vital Separatist information and holo-transmissions regarding the Council's whereabouts. Gunray and his assistant Rune Haako arrived at Grievous's ship, Invisible Hand, to find that Grievous had already uncovered the Neimoidian's fumble.
A quick change of plans was made, and the Council was moved to the planet Utapau. Before Grievous's death, Darth Sidious ordered Grievous to send the Council from Utapau to Mustafar, supposedly to keep them safe from the Republic, as troops led by Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi were soon to storm the sinkhole planet. However, the Council was doomed to die on Mustafar. Grievous briefed the Council on their travel arrangements shortly after Kenobi arrived; Kenobi was, however, able to eavesdrop on Grievous and the Council, though he let the Council members' retreat before challenging Grievous. Clone Commander Cody soon arrived, bringing Republic clone troopers with him, and engaged the battle droid forces. In the midst of the skirmish, Kenobi killed Grievous.
Death of the Council
- "The war is over. Lord Sidious promised us peace! We only want—"
- ―Nute Gunray's last words to Darth Vader
The Council established their makeshift headquarters in the Klegger Corp Mining Facility after being sent to Mustafar by Darth Sidious. Upon Grievous's death at the hands of Obi-Wan Kenobi, the Council assumed direct control of the Confederacy, and began monitoring the Outer Rim Sieges, which they were mostly losing. Sidious then tasked his new Sith apprentice, Darth Vader, with the assassination of all ten Council members, as well as their many aides, after Sidious no longer had any need for the Separatist Movement. With Sidious's puppets, the Jedi and the last remaining Separatists dead, Sidious would have little opponents to challenge his rule as Emperor. Vader swiftly traveled to Mustafar, and once inside their hidden command center, was greeted by Gunray and the other council members. Vader trapped the Separatist leaders in their own war room and conference room before murdering the leaders methodically, killing Denaria Kee, Nudo's aide, Tikkes, Passel Argente, Po Nudo's Shi'ido aide, Cat Miin, Shu Mai, Po Nudo, San Hill, Poggle the Lesser and Rute Gunnay in the War Room, and proceeded to the conference room. There, he killed Rune Haako, Wat Tambor, and, finally, Nute Gunray, whom Vader held a grudge with for Gunray's attempts to assassinate his secret wife, Amidala.
The Command Center was later host to a duel between Darth Vader and his former Jedi Master, Obi-Wan Kenobi, where Kenobi saw the Council's bodies and the length of the terror his former pupil had created. With the death of the Council, the Clone Wars officially came to an end, bringing about the age of the Galactic Empire.
For at least two months following the war's end, Palpatine maintained that the council members' final fates were unknown, using the possible threat of their return to justify his military expansion. However, it is known that Rogwa Wodrata was not on Mustafar when her comrades were slaughtered by Darth Vader, but was presumably killed later.
Many of the businesses involved in the Separatist Movement faded into oblivion after their Head's death, while others were forced to turn their assets over to the newly-formed Galactic Empire. The IG Banking Clan, however, survived the incident, though they were much less profitable than they were before the War. 
The Separatist Council was the governing body of the Confederacy. It was headed by a Head of State-Count Dooku. Should the Head of State be assassinated, the Supreme Commander (General Grievous) would take control. The Council leaders held equal voting power, but should both the Head of State and Supreme Commander be incapacitated, the Council member with the largest economic investment to the war would become acting head—namely, Nute Gunray.
Though the Council members were able to contribute to the war effort in almost any way they pleased, they were required to follow orders given by Count Dooku or Darth Sidious, the Sith conspirators behind the war. Miraj Scintel, slave trader and Queen of Zygerria, was unwilling to follow her superior's orders. She was promptly killed by Count Dooku for her misconduct.
The Council was composed of representatives of Separatist-allied worlds and quasi-government entities. It was chaired by a Head of State.
The members of the Council were as follows:
- Count Dooku—Head of State of the Confederacy of Independent Systems
- General Grievous—Supreme Commander of the Droid Armies
- Nute Gunray—Viceroy of the Trade Federation
- Rune Haako — Settlement Officer of the Trade Federation
- San Hill—Chairman of the InterGalactic Banking Clan
- Poggle the Lesser—Archduke of Geonosis
- Shu Mai—Presidente of the Commerce Guild
- Wat Tambor—Foreman of the Techno Union, Executive of Baktoid Armor Workshop, and Senator of Skako
- Passel Argente—Senator of Kooriva and Magistrate of the Corporate Alliance
- Po Nudo—Senator of Ando and Leader of the Hyper-Communications Cartel
- Tikkes—Senator of the Quarren Isolation League
- Rogwa Wodrata—Senator of Alliga and the Phelleem sector
- Main Techno Union scientist (Wat Tambor)
- Rute Gunnay (Nute Gunray and Rune Haako)
- Cat Miin (Shu Mai)
- Denaria Kee (Passel Argente)
- Sun Fac (Poggle the Lesser)
- Poggle the Lesser's aides inc Gizor Dellso (Poggle the Lesser)
- Unidentified Shi'ido aide (Po Nudo)
- Unidentified Aqualish aide (Po Nudo)
Republic Senators who joined the cause:
- Toonbuck Toora—Senator of Sy Myrth
- Tyreca Bremack—Senator of Agamar and the Lahara sector
- Baron Rush Clovis—Senator of Scipio and the InterGalactic Banking Clan
- Prince Tal Merrik—Senator of Kalevala
- Mina Bonteri—Senator
- Lott Dod—Senator of Neimoidia and the Trade Federation
- Dodra F'ass—Senator of Clak'dor VI and the Mayagil sector
- Nix Card—Senator of the InterGalactic Banking Clan
- Mak Plain—Senator of the InterGalactic Banking Clan
- Corlissi Ludar—Senator of Sluis Van and the Sluis sector
- Rodd—Senator of Fondor and the Tapani sector
- Esu Rotsino—Senator of Abrion Major and the Abrion sector
- Vien'sai'Malloc—Senator of Devaron Space
- Daggibus Scoritoles—Senator of Yag'Dhul and the Givin Domain
- Zurros—Senator of Falleen
- Navi—Senator of Thustra
- Bufus Ritsomas—Senator of Till Chorios and the Meridian sector
- Danry Ledwellow—Senator of Er'Kit
- Wuja Wojaine—Senator of Almanian sector
- Onaconda Farr—Senator of Savareen sector (Briefly allied to Confederacy)
- Gume Saam—Senator of Tibrin (Affiliated with Confederacy)
- Havriso Looruya— Senator of Yir Tangee
- Silvu Donte— Senator of Riflor
- The senators of the Separatist Congress
- Unidentified Senator
- Bezz Drexx (Received bribes from the Separatists)
- Ronet Coorr (Received bribes from the Separatists)
Other members of power included:
- Alaric—Sephi King of Thustra
- Beolars Bribbs—President of the Sullustan Council and CEO of SoroSuub Corporation
- Ado Eemon—Ruler of Caramm V
- Candobar Inglet—Khedive of the Sluis sector and Sluis Van
- Belo Tusus—Ruler of Orto
- Pre Vizsla—Governor of Concordia
- Jolluc—Maujasi Leader of the Mauja clans
- Lorca Oviedo—Director of Oviedo Engineering
- Daragi Hoba—First Minister of Ando
- Rankwin Fopow—Prime Oligarch of the Cadinth Oligarchy
- Eleven Elders of the People—Ruling Council of Emberlene
- Five Families of Cestus Cybernetics
- The Morgukai
- King Kikipi—Ruler of Toong'l
- Topas dosLa—Overliege of Ukio
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones junior novelization
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns (First identified as Separatist Union)
- CIS Shadowfeed Year's Start Fete Day Edition (Mentioned only)
- CIS Shadowfeed Dispatch 15:01:15 Edition
- Star Wars: General Grievous (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars The Clone Wars 4: Slaves of the Republic - Chapter 4: Auction of a Million Souls (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars The Clone Wars 5: Slaves of the Republic - Chapter 5: A Slave now, a Slave forever
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Dooku Captured" (Mentioned only)
- Labyrinth of Evil
- Reversal of Fortune
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith / comic / junior novel
- Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader (Mentioned only)
- The Last of the Jedi: Master of Deception (Mentioned only)
- Attack of the Clones: The Visual Dictionary
- Revenge of the Sith: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars Chronicles: The Prequels
- Unknown Soldier: The Story of General Grievous
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- "Ask Lobot"—Star Wars Insider 126
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bombad Jedi"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Labyrinth of Evil
- ↑ The Clone Wars: Discount
- ↑ The Clone Wars: Covetous
- ↑ Star Wars: Clone Wars – "Chapter 4"
- ↑ Reversal of Fortune
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars 5: Slaves of the Republic - Chapter 5: A Slave now, a Slave forever
- ↑ Boba Fett: Hunted
- ↑ Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader