The Separatist navy, known more commonly as the Separatist fleet, was the naval division of the Confederacy of Independent Systems military during the Clone Wars. It was created during the height of the Separatist Crisis to bring a means of defense against the Galactic Republic.
In 22 BBY, growing dissatisfaction with the Galactic Republic created unrest in the Galactic Senate and led thousands of systems to secede from the Republic. The Separatist movement rallied under the leadership of Count Dooku, a former Jedi Master. Following a failed assassination attempt on Senator Padmé Amidala, the Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi discovered that the Republic was secretly building a clone Grand Army of the Republic on Kamino. While pursuing the clones' template Jango Fett to Geonosis, Kenobi discovered that the Separatists were secretly building a Droid Army. Shortly later, the Republic launched an attack on Geonosis, sparking the Clone Wars.
During the early stages of the Clone Wars, a Separatist fleet under Admiral Trench, a veteran of the Battle of Malastare Narrows, lay siege to the planet Christophsis. The Republic and Jedi Order dispatched reinforcements including Jedi Generals Kenobi and Skywalker, Admiral Wullf Yularen, and Clone Commander Cody to liberate Christophsis. Admiral Yularen and General Skywalker used a stealth ship to cripple Trench's Providence-class dreadnought Invincible, allowing Kenobi and Cody's fleet to attack the now leaderless Separatist fleet. Despite this, fighting on the ground continued on Christophis. Later, a Separatist fleet blockaded and invaded the Twi'lek homeworld of Ryloth. This blockade cut off any support for the dwindling Republic defenses and starving population. Republic Senator Bail Organa and Junior Representative Jar Jar Binks managed to convince King Katuunko of Toydaria to secretly ship supplies to Ryloth.
The Separatists then deployed the Malevolence, a powerful Subjugator-class heavy cruiser equipped with deadly Mega-ion cannons that could disable the power systems of entire Republic Navy fleets. The Malevolence used its powerful ion cannons to destroy dozens of Republic ships, leaving no survivors. The Jedi Council dispatched Jedi Master Plo Koon and the Venator-class Star Destroyer Triumphant to hunt down the mysterious Separatist ship. However, the Malevolence ambushed the Triumphant, killing most of the crew. Plo Koon and several Clone troopers including Clone Commander Wolffe managed to escape due to the intervention of Skywalker and his Padawan Ahsoka Tano.
The Malevolence continued its attacks on Republic military ships. Count Dooku then tasked General Grievous with attacking the Kaliida Shoals Medical Center, which was housing 60,000 wounded Republic Clone troopers. In response, General Skywalker and Commander Tano attacked the Malevolence with the Y-wing Shadow Squadron. Despite taking casualties, Shadow Squadron managed to damage the Malevolence's mega-ion cannon. With Republic ships in pursuit and the ship's hyperdrive damaged, Grievous retreated with the Malevolence back to Separatist Space.
With Republic ships in pursuit, Darth Sidious and Count Dooku arranged for Senator Amidala's ship to rendezvous with the Malevolence. Grievous tried to take Amidala and C-3PO hostage but they managed to escape into the Malevolence. Anakin, Kenobi, and R2-D2 mounted a rescue mission and infiltrated the Malevolence. While aboard the Malevolent, Anakin rigged the Malevolence to crash into the Dead Moon of Antar. The destruction of the Malevolence dealt a blow to Grievous' credibility. In addition, Jedi General Luminara Unduli's forces intercepted a Separatist fleet being sent to reinforce Grievous.
Later, Separatist droid forces attempted to capture Rishi Station so that a Separatist fleet could attack the Republic cloning factories on Kamino but were repelled by Clone troopers, who managed to warn the Republic. As a result, the Separatists were forced to withdraw their fleet from the orbit of Rishi moon. Republic forces under General Skywalker and Admiral Yularen later destroyed a Separatist fleet commanded by Grievous during the Battle of Bothawui. Grievous escaped on his personal starfighter Soulless One. Skywalker and R2-D2 gave chase but their Delta-7B Aethersprite-class light interceptor was damaged in a meteor storm.
A fleet of Separatist Munificent-class star frigates under the T-series tactical droid TF-1726 later clashed with three Venator-class Star Destroyers under Jedi General Aayla Secura above the planet Quell. Republic reinforcements under General Skywalker came to General Secura's rescue and rescued Secura from her stricken Star Destroyer. They escaped to the planet Maridun where they encountered a Lurmen village.
In 21 BBY, the Separatist navy blockaded the planet Felucia, trapping Republic forces under Jedi Generals Kenobi and Skywalker. Republic reinforcements under Jedi General Plo Koon managed to break through the blockade and evacuate Republic forces on Felucia. After stealing a holocron from the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, the Separatist-aligned bounty hunter Cad Bane's fleet of Munificent-class star frigates attacked the Republic outpost on Devaron, capturing Jedi Master Bolla Ropal. Bane wanted to use Ropal to unlock the holocron he had stolen and access its secrets. Republic reinforcements under General Skywalker and Admiral Yularen boarded Bane's flagship and destroyed his fleet. However, Bane was able to escape with the holocron and a kyber memory crystal containing a list of all the Force-sensitive children in the galaxy.
Later, a fleet led General Grievous attacked Jedi Master Eeth Koth's Venator-class Star Destroyer and captured him. In response, Jedi Generals Kenobi and Adi Gallia led a fleet of Republic warships which destroyed most of Grievous' fleet. Republic and Jedi forces then pursued Grievous on Saleucami but the Separatist droid general managed to escape offworld.
General Grievous later commanded a Separatist fleet which assaulted the planet Kamino, which produced Clone troopers for the Grand Army of the Republic. During the battle, Grievous sacrificed his transports in order to protect his flagship. Grievous and his second-in-command Commander Asajj Ventress also arranged for the parts of Trident-class assault ships to be deployed into Kamino's oceans in the guise of debris. Upon landing, they were reassembled by Aqua droids and used to attack the Clone factories on Tipoca City. Ventress attempted to steal a DNA sample of Jango Fett but was thwarted by Skywalker. The Clone troopers succeeded in repelling the Separatist invaders.
Later, a Trade Federation fleet under Sib Canay blockaded Pantora in an attempt to force the neutral moon to join the Separatists. To exert pressure on Pantoran Chairman Papanoida, Canay and Lott Dod also kidnapped Papanoida's daughters Chi Eekway Papanoida and Che Amanwe Papanoida. With the assistance of Padawan Ahsoka Tano, Papanoida was able to rescue his daughters. To maintain the facade of neutrality, Lott Dod was forced to lift the blockade of Pantora.
- Christophsis blockade
- Lola Sayu defense fleet
- Ryloth blockade
- The Grievous Legion
- Trident Group One
- Trident Group Two
- Heavy cruiser
- Lucrehulk-class LH-3210 cargo freighter
- Recusant-class warship
Cruisers and corvettesEdit
- Class type B
- Droch-class boarding ship
- Executive shuttle
- Neimoidian shuttle
- Separatist command shuttle
- Sheathipede-class transport shuttle
- Belbullab-22 starfighter
- Droid tri-fighter
- Ginivex-class fanblade starfighter
- Hyena-class bomber
- Nantex-class territorial starfighter
- Rogue-class starfighter
- Umbaran starfighter
- Variable Geometry Self-Propelled Battle Droid, Mark I
- (as "Separatist fleet")
- (as "Separatist fleet")
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Separatist navy)
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- (as "Separatist fleet")
- (as "Separatist fleet")
Notes & referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cat and Mouse"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Storm Over Ryloth"
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 4.13 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars film
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Supply Lines"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rising Malevolence"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shadow of Malevolence"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Destroy Malevolence"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rookies"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Downfall of a Droid"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Jedi Crash"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Holocron Heist"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cargo of Doom"
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Grievous Intrigue"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Deserter"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "ARC Troopers"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sphere of Influence"
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Citadel"
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 Tarkin
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 21.2 21.3 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Nightsisters"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Massacre"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Secret Weapons"
- ↑ 24.0 24.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Secret Weapons"
- ↑ The Crimson Corsair and the Lost Treasure of Count Dooku
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Kidnapped"
- ↑ Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- ↑ Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Heroes on Both Sides"
- ↑ Kanan 1: The Last Padawan, Part I: Fight
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Liberty on Ryloth"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Darkness on Umbara"
- ↑ 33.0 33.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Plan of Dissent"
- ↑ 34.0 34.1 Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Four