Sephi were a species of humanoids indigenous to Thustra. Although they had been members of the Galactic Republic and friends of the Jedi Order for centuries, King Alaric of the Sephi sided with the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars.
Biology and appearanceEdit
The Sephi were a species of sentient humanoids. Outwardly, they were very similar in appearance to Human stock, the key difference being their long, pointed ears. Like most humanoids, the Sephi came in two sexes, male and female; with the latter being distinguished by more prominent breasts and a different hairline. Many Sephi were tall and healthy-looking, with a narrow waistline and long-fingered hands. However, smaller and overweight individuals were not unheard of.
While many Sephi had pale, purplish skin, some had more Human-like skintones. Their eyes came in the colors black or brown. Their long, straight hair ranged in color from black through blond to gray and white. Depending on personal status, it was common for upper-class Sephi to fashion their hair into thick spirals adorned with gemstones and other decorations, making it a source of personal pride. Males also had a distinct V-shaped growth of hair toward the center of their forehead, in addition to a receding hairline. The female hairline, however, formed an upside down U and was located closer to the eyebrows.
The Sephi were a long-lived species, with elder individuals living for more than 200 years, possibly up to 400. They could interbreed with several other species, including the Arkanians and the Humans.
Society and cultureEdit
The Sephi evolved on Thustra, a terrestrial planet located in the eponymous star system of the Sumitra sector, in the Expansion Region of the galaxy. They had contacts with the wider galactic community, or at least with the Arkanians, since at least the fifth millennium before the Battle of Yavin.
At some point in their history, the Sephi joined the Galactic Republic, a democratic government that spanned a vast expanse of the galaxy. For centuries, they stood as staunch defenders of the Republic, and the Sephi monarch exerted a powerful influence over the neighboring systems. They were also in good terms with the Jedi Order, a group of enlightened warriors who acted as the guardians of peace and justice in the Republic.
However, in the fifth month of 22 BBY, the Clone Wars erupted between the Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems, a separatist union led by Count Dooku of Serenno. Sixteen months after the First Battle of Geonosis, the Sephi king Alaric chose to rally Dooku in response to the rampant corruption if the Republic's Galactic Senate.
Behind the scenesEdit
- J. Ral'Tir: "Do you have a species for Valentha Farfalla in the Holocron?"
- Leland Chee: "Not concretely. For the longest time we've used dozens of pointy-eared characters without a species name for them. The pointed-eared species in the Jedi: Yoda comic were named Sephi. My theory is that all pointy-eared species are either Sephi or closely related to Sephi."
- ―StarWars.com Message Boards, June 08, 2007[src]
Leland Chee, on the StarWars.com Message Boards, stated that his theory is that "all pointy-eared species are either Sephi or closely related to Sephi." Notice that he answered this when asked about Farfalla's species, who had equine features including hooves. Due to their pointed ears, it is possible that Jedi Masters Fay and Aleco Stusea might be Sephi.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 48: Demon, Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- Jedi: Yoda (First appearance)
- Vader's Quest (Retcon)
- Star Wars: Chewbacca (Retcon)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 Jedi: Yoda
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. III, p. 139 ("Sephi")
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Vader's Quest
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 48: Demon, Part 2
- ↑ In A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Second Edition, it was stated that the part-Sephi Bertroff Hissa had "a bit of alien blood running through his veins." Since the word "alien" is used by opposition to Human, Hissa must have been part-Human, part-Sephi.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 The Essential Atlas
- ↑ A Guide to the Star Wars Universe (Second Edition)
- ↑ "Republic HoloNet News Special Inaugural Edition 16:5:24"—Star Wars Insider 84
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ Leland Chee (A.K.A. Tasty Taste) on the StarWars.com forums