Sergeant Major was a military rank used by the Galactic Empire. A Sergeant Major was a senior non-commissioned officer, typically serving as the second-in-command of a Platoon, and as the adjutant to the unit's commanding Lieutenant.
A Sergeant Major would also be second-in-command to cadet leaders during their Omega Exercises in which they had to lead a platoon of stormtroopers into real combat. Hong, for instance, was Kyle Katarn's Sergeant Major during Katarn's Omega Exercise on AX-456.
Sergeant-Major was also a rank given to clone troopers in the Grand Army of the Republic. These troopers, had green markings in the early stages of the Clone Wars, and like the rank equivalent in the Galactic Empire, commonly served as second-in-command of a platoon.
- Dark Forces: Soldier for the Empire (First appearance)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Imperial Sourcebook (First mentioned)
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide
- "Who's Who in Echo Base"—Star Wars Insider 74
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Sergeant Major on Wikipedia