- "The secret to our mouthwatering nerfsteak is the seasoning: a unique blend of Serrian salt, tertium, punctil and black hole pepper that's been handed down in my family for generations."
- ―From the menu at Dex's Diner
Serrian salt was a kind of salt used by Dexter Jettster at Dex's Diner, the Besalisk chef's restaurant on the planet Coruscant. Before the diner was destroyed at some point during the first two years of the Galactic Empire, Jettster used Serrian salt in his nerfsteak seasoning and in the Gartro egg salad used for his Gartro egg salad sandwiches. By the time of the Galactic Civil War, taking something "with a ton of Serrian salt" was an idiom in Galactic Basic Standard used to note the possibility of inaccuracies in a piece of information.
- "As he is possibly the biggest and best liar in the entire galaxy, myself excluded, take it with a ton of Serrian salt."
- ―Milo Thirk, using an idiom involving Serrian salt in a report about Lando Calrissian's account of his takeover of Cloud City
The Besalisk chef Dexter Jettster used Serrian salt at Dex's Diner, his restaurant on the planet Coruscant, at some point before the eatery was destroyed by the Galactic Empire within the first two years of its rule. Jettster used Serrian salt as an ingredient in his seasoning for nerfsteaks, a recipe that had been in his family for generations. He also included the salt in the Gartro egg salad used in his Gartro egg salad sandwiches.
By the time of the Galactic Civil War, taking something "with a ton of Serrian salt" was an idiom in Galactic Basic Standard that meant to be wary of the truthfulness of a piece of information. At some point after Lando Calrissian became Baron Administrator of Bespin's Cloud City, Milo Thirk of Alliance Intelligence sent a report about the event to Eddriss Sark that included the aforementioned phrase to denote the dubious accuracy of Calrissian's account of his takeover of the mining colony.
Behind the scenesEdit
Serrian salt was first mentioned in Lando Calrissian's profile in the 1987 The Star Wars Sourcebook, written by Bill Slavicsek and Curtis Smith for West End Games' Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game. In 1994, the profile was later repeated in the second edition of the sourcebook. In 2009, the salt received a mention in Dining at Dex's, a Star Wars Hyperspace article written as an in-universe menu by Gregory Walker.
- (Mentioned only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Last of the Jedi: Underworld established that Dex's Diner was destroyed by the Galactic Empire. The Essential Reader's Companion later stated that Underworld took place around the year 18 BBY. The New Essential Chronology states that the Empire was formed in 19 BBY, so Dex's Diner was destroyed either during 19 BBY or 18 BBY.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 The Star Wars Sourcebook
- ↑ Star Wars Sourcebook, Second Edition