- "When you feel the dark side energies turned against you, you must use your Jedi abilities to take power away from an opponent, rather than to inflict harm. This technique blinds your enemy to the Force with a wall of light, a permanent blockage if you so choose, rendering him unable to use Jedi powers. It is difficult. And it is the most devastating attack possible using the powers of the light side. To block a Jedi from the Force—even a Dark Jedi—is a terrible thing."
- ―Odan-Urr, via the Tedryn Holocron
Sever Force was a non-lethal Force power by which a being's connection to the Force was interrupted, or blocked from them with a wall of light side energy. According to the ancient Jedi scholar Odan-Urr, severing an individual's Force connection was the most powerful attack a Jedi could perform.
- "I imprison you in a wall of light. A fortress to block you from the Force…blind you to your Jedi powers…"
- ―Nomi Sunrider to Ulic Qel-Droma
While intended to be an attack with usually irreversible consequences, severing an individual's Force connection was not always permanent. When the affected being had the Force restored to them, it returned as a painful and sudden rush of feelings, as the Force immediately allowed the individual to sense everything around them at once. This was the case with Jedi Ben Skywalker, who had his Force connection severed by his cousin and Sith Lord, Darth Caedus. Caedus had blocked his cousin's Force abilities while holding him captive in the Yuuzhan Vong torture device known as the Embrace of Pain.
In the times of the ancient Jedi, severing Force connections was used as a means of punishment. In 3951 BBY, Jedi Masters Zez-Kai Ell, Kavar and Vrook Lamar attempted to use this power on Meetra Surik, but Kreia stopped them not by severing their own Force connections—rather draining them, and ultimately killing them.
The most extreme case by far was when Surik used it unconsciously on herself to shield herself from the devastating effects to those who could sense the Force when the Mass Shadow Generator was activated on the surface of Malachor V, obliterating almost everyone and everything on the planet in the process. The severance was so utter, so complete that Surik created a wound in the Force in the progress. She did not know this, and at first, thought the Jedi Council had severed her connection, and she believed that they had cut her off from the Force as a punishment for fighting in the Mandalorian Wars.
When the Sith Emperor was still a child named Tenebrae, he used a dark side variant of Sever Force to strip his father Lord Dramath of both his powers and his sanity. He later used a Sith ritual to strip the Force from an entire planet, its inhabitants, and many Sith Lords, consuming their Force essence to ensure his own immortality.
After nearly falling to the dark side, Jedi Knight Kyle Katarn also severed his connection with the Force before returning to his mercenary ways. However, after his partner Jan Ors was seemingly killed by the Dark Jedi Desann and his student Tavion, Katarn was driven by revenge and sought to reestablish his Force powers by any means necessary in order to present Desann as a worthy adversary. Kyle hastily revisited the Valley of the Jedi and restored his connection to the Force, allowing him to quickly relearn powers of both the light and dark side of the Force in a relatively short amount of time. 
In a very taxing variation of this technique usable only by those with experience in battle meditation, the Force-user could use the Force to sever a target who was heavily tainted or consumed by the dark side. This technique effectively caged the user's power within their own darkness and rendered them blind to the Force, though not dead to it. Nomi Sunrider used this technique on Ulic Qel-Droma after he killed his brother Cay on Ossus.
- Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War 1: Edge of the Whirlwind (First mentioned)
- Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War 5: Brother Against Brother (First appearance)
- Tales of the Jedi: Redemption (Mentioned only)
- The Old Republic: Revan (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: Republic: The Siege of Saleucami
- (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
- The New Jedi Order: Traitor
- The New Jedi Order: Destiny's Way (Indirect mention only)
- The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force (Indirect mention only)
- Legacy of the Force: Sacrifice (Indirect mention only)
- Legacy of the Force: Inferno
- The New Essential Chronology
- Power of the Jedi Sourcebook
- The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
- Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Jedi Academy Training Manual
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Legacy of the Force: Inferno
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
- ↑ Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War 1: Edge of the Whirlwind
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War 5: Brother Against Brother
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 The New Jedi Order: Traitor
- ↑ Echoes of the Jedi
- ↑ 10.0 10.1
- ↑ Tales of the Jedi: Redemption 2: The Search for Peace