- "Our combined strength will be rewarded. Mandalore will be yours, and Kenobi, this Sith pretender Dooku and all our enemies...will fall."
- ―Darth Maul to Pre Vizsla
The Shadow Collective was a criminal alliance founded during the Clone Wars by Darth Maul at the behest of Mother Talzin. Among its goals, it sought to defeat both the Confederacy of Independent Systems and the Galactic Republic. During the war, Maul rallied the forces of Death Watch, Black Sun, the Pyke Syndicate, the Hutt Clan, and the Nightbrothers to form a base of power. The Shadow Collective worked alongside Maul as he enacted a plan of revenge against Darth Sidious, but began to fragment after the Hutts abandoned him, with the Pykes and Black Sun severing ties following their defeat at the hands of the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Almec's government and his super commandos were the only groups who remained under Maul's control.
Following the Skirmish on Florrum, which saw the pirate Hondo Ohnaka and Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi defeat Maul and Opress, the two brothers became stranded in space. However, they eventually passed out from lack of oxygen in their escape pod.
They were then discovered by Pre Vizsla - leader of the Mandalorian splinter group, known as the Death Watch. The two brothers, who were dangerously injured following the events which took place on Florrum, were taken onto Vizsla's ship, upon which they were taken to the Death Watch's base, on the moon Zanbar.
On Zanbar, Maul and Opress awaken. Vizsla and Bo-Katan Kryze, Vizsla's second-in-command, greet the brothers, and inquire as to who they are. Upon Maul's response as the brothers being Sith, Vizsla acts with hostility - due to his dislike of Dooku. Maul tells Vizsla that he works for no man. He also admits his hatred for Kenobi, which Vizsla appears impressed with.
The two men later have tea together, in one of the Mandalorian tents. Vizsla explains his struggle against Duchess Satine Kryze of Mandalore, and his people's once great and powerful past as warriors. He also explains how Satine and Kenobi are linked personally - Vizsla thinks that fortune brought Maul to him.
Maul vows to help Vizsla reclaim Mandalore from Satine, and to punish Kenobi for actions against them. Bo-Katan steps in, and offers a counter argument - remembering the time that Death Watch allied itself with Dooku - and how it affected them badly. Maul proceeds to force choke Bo-Katan, and expresses his hopes for an alliance between the Death Watch and the two brothers. He lets Bo-Katan go, and Vizsla tells Maul that he'll put an alliance to a vote amongst his men.
Following Opress' awakening, Maul informs his brother of the new alliance, and how they can take advantage of Vizsla. Vizsla then informs the two brothers of his men's favour of an alliance.
"Your lives, in exchange for Hutt Space and everything in its borders." - Darth Maul threatens the Hutt CouncilThe newly formed alliance travel to Mustafar, on which a Black Sun base exists. The force is met by a battalion of Black Sun warriors, led by Ziton Moj, which Maul notes will serve them well.
Maul, Vizsla and Opress enter the meeting room of the base, where the leaders of Black Sun can be seen. The leaders do not co-operate with Maul, and so Opress, in a single motion, throws his double-bladed lightsaber down the table - decapitating and killing each and every leader of the Black Sun immediately. Moj hastily agrees to join the new group.
Back on Zanbar, members of the Pyke Syndicate - a crime organisation dealing mostly with illegally exporting spices and drugs - land, led by Lom Pyke. Pyke tells Vizsla that he does not wish to oppose the new organisation, and conveys his wishes to join them.
A task force, led by Maul, Vizsla and Opress, travel to Nal Hutta - which was the central planet of the Hutt Space at the time. Addressing the Hutt Council, Maul asks the council for control of everything inside Hutt controlled borders, or their lives would be taken. Upon hearing this, a team of hired bounty hunters begin to attack Maul's forces. A large confrontation breaks out, forcing Maul, Vizsla and Opress to retreat.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part One
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Two
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Three
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Four
- Star Wars Rebels – "Twilight of the Apprentice" (Indirect mention only)
- "Blaster"—Star Wars Insider 151
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Two
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part One
- ↑ Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Three
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Four