The shadow stormtroopers, sometimes called Blackhole stormtroopers because of their use under Agent Blackhole, were specialized Imperial stormtroopers and were the successors of the Republic's clone shadow troopers.[source?]
Their most distinguishing feature was their all-black armor—a stark contrast to the typical white armor common to other stormtroopers. This unique black armor provided some stealth benefits, which resulted from the stygian-triprismatic polymer material used in the production of the armor. Lord Blackhole also incorporated meltmassif into his shadow stormtroopers for use when he would disable them. Shadow stormtroopers also carried cloaking devices that rendered them invisible for a short period of time.[source?]
On Vorzyd VEdit
Shortly after the Battle of Yavin, Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa were sent on a mission to Vorzyd V, the "Gambler's World," where they were to disrupt the Imperial gambling operations with the support of the president of that world. However, the operation was disrupted by Blackhole himself, and platoons of his stormtroopers were seen fighting the local resistance and the Alliance troops.
Battle of MindorEdit
- "Answer me this: Why is the armor of my stormtroopers black?
I'll give you a hint: It's not just paint."
- ―Lord Shadowspawn
Lord Shadowspawn led legions of shadow stormtroopers against New Republic forces at the Battle of Mindor in 5 ABY. These shadow troopers armor was made of meltmassif which allowed Shadowspawn to control them completely at will.
Carnor Jax's commandEdit
In 11 ABY, a squad of shadow stormtroopers formed a bodyguard for aspiring Dark Lord Carnor Jax during his attempt to take control of the Empire; it is believed that these were soldiers from Blackhole's old elite unit, but it is not known how they had come into service with Jax, or whether their attachment to him implies any contact with Blackhole. It is possible they were some of the forces placed under his command by the Imperial Ruling Council following the Battle of Endor. It is notable that Jax himself had formerly served in Blackhole's old unit. Although crack troops, they were all slain by Kir Kanos on Yinchorr.
The only noticeable difference between Jax's shadow stormtroopers and the original group were black viewplates on the helmet. The first Blackhole stormtroopers had white viewplates.
Behind the scenesEdit
Hasbro produced a shadow stormtrooper action figure for the 2006 San Diego Comic Convention, although it was only sold at StarWarsShop.com. The exclusive figure is referred to as a "shadow stormtrooper" on the packaging; however, the Databank entry has the name as "Blackhole stormtrooper". Hasbro later re-released the action figure as part of the Saga Legends line.
The LEGO Group Released two Shadow Stormtrooper Minifigures in 2007 in the "TIE Crawler" set. Another Shadow Stormtrooper also came with the 2008 "Imperial Dropship", along with three standard Stormtroopers. It also was released by the Lego Group as a limited edition maquette in partnership with Gentle Giant. Also according to DK's Lego Star Wars mini-figure book the Imperial Dropship set incorrectly labled the Shadow Stormtrooper as an Imperial Pilot.
In the MMORPG Star Wars Galaxies, Shadow stormtroopers were called "black hole stormtroopers" (note the space between the words black and hole). In appearance, they were little more than standard stormtroopers with black armor. They would often be given randomly-generated names, such as TK-807.
- LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Non-canonical appearance)
- Star Tours: The Adventures Continue (Possible appearance)
- Star Wars: Tiny Death Star (Non-canonical appearance)
- Gambler's World (First appearance)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor
- Crimson Empire
- Handbook 2: Crimson Empire
- The Emperor's Pawns"—Star Wars Gamer 5 "
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide
- The New Essential Chronology (Picture only)
- Evil Never Dies: The Sith Dynasties (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Miniatures: Legacy of the Force
- Rebellion Era Campaign Guide (as "Blackhole Stormtrooper")
- "Blaster"—Star Wars Insider 111
- LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars Art: Visions (Ambiguously canonical source) (Picture only)
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- "Authors of the Expanded Universe: Russ Manning"—Star Wars Insider 140
- (Mentioned only)
- (as "black-armored Stormtroopers")