|Chronological and political information|
- "Where are you taking this… thing?"
- ―Shann Childsen on Chewbacca
Lieutenant Shann Childsen was an ardent believer in the New Order's anti-alien policies. Childsen particularly disliked such "primitive" species as Wookiees, Talz, and Ewoks. He was known as a bully by his fellow officers, and was demoted after a superior blamed him for a clerical error. However, Lieutenant Childsen's fanatical support of the New Order assisted in his selection as a security officer, and thus saved his career in the Imperial Navy.
In 0 BBY, he was in command of Detention Block AA-23 on the first Death Star when Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Chewbacca infiltrated the area to rescue Princess Leia Organa, disguised as stormtroopers escorting their Wookiee "prisoner". Childsen was subsequently shot by Luke before he could activate the alarm system, having become suspicious of the stormtroopers due to their escorting a Wookiee to the prison, specifically to Princess Leia's cell.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars Journal: The Fight for Justice (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope junior novel
- Star Wars 3: Death Star!
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (Video clip only)
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – A New Hope Limited (Card: Lt. Shann Childsen) (First identified as Shann Childsen)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: Sergeant Major Enfield)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 37 (LEI4, The Rescue of Princess Leia)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 64 (DEA8, Death Star - Detention Block)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia