- "Where are you taking this… thing?"
- ―Lieutenant Childsen questions Solo and Skywalker concerning Chewbacca
Shann Childsen was a male human who served as a lieutenant in the Stormtrooper Corps of the Galactic Empire's army during the Galactic Civil War against the Alliance to Restore the Republic. Shortly before the Battle of Yavin, Childsen was stationed onboard the Death Star battle station, where he worked in Detention Block AA-23. The Lieutenant was shot by the Jedi Luke Skywalker when he and the smugglers Han Solo and Chewbacca arrived in Block AA-23 to rescue Princess Leia Organa.
- "Prisoner transfer from Cell Block 1138."
"I wasn't notified. I'll have to clear it."
- ―Skywalker attempts to deceive Childsen
The male human Shann Childsen served in the Stormtrooper Corps of the Galactic Empire's army during the Galactic Civil War against the Alliance to Restore the Republic. During the war, he held the rank of lieutenant and was station on board the Death Star, a battle station with the capability to destroy planets. Childsen worked on the station's fifth level in Detention Block AA-23, where prisoners including Princess Leia Organa were kept in cells.
Shortly before the Battle of Yavin, a group arrived on the Death Star hoping to rescue Organa. Two of the group, the Jedi Luke Skywalker and the smuggler Han Solo disguised themselves as Stormtroopers and made their way to Block AA-23 with the Wookiee Chewbacca. As the trio arrived in a turbolift, Childsen questioned the troopers on what they were doing with the Wookiee. The two disguised rescuers attempted to fool Childsen, claiming that they were transferring Chewbacca from Cell Block 1138. Not having been informed of any transfers, Childsen signaled for two Imperial troopers with him to drawn their weapons and then attempted to check the Stormtroopers' claim. Solo and Skywalker, realizing their bluff had failed, opened fire on the Imperials and in the ensuing fight the Jedi shot and killed Childsen. The rescuers then managed to successfully free Organa and escape the Death Star.
Personality and traitsEdit
Behind the scenesEdit
Childsen was portrayed uncredited by Malcolm Tierney in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. The character was first named as Shann Childsen in Decipher, Inc.'s Star Wars Customizable Card Game on a card in the A New Hope Limited set released in 1996. The set was established to be part of the Star Wars Legends continuity however, and so not a part of official Star Wars canon. The Lieutenants surname was confirmed to be canon in the reference book Star Wars in 100 Scenes which was released in 2014 and written by Jason Fry. His given name Shann was canonized in 2016, in the Star Wars Insider 170.
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes (First identified as Childsen)
- Ultimate Star Wars (As "a stormtrooper officer")
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know (Indirect mention only)
- "Terror Test!"—Star Wars Insider 170 (First identified as Shann)
Behind the scenesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "The Voice of the Empire"—Star Wars Insider 170
- ↑ "Launch Pad"—Star Wars Insider 149
- ↑ Star Wars Customizable Card Game – A New Hope Limited (Card: Lt. Shann Childsen)
- ↑ Star Wars in 100 Scenes