- "I sometimes can see the weak places in an opponent—shatterpoints where the unbreakable can be broken. They can occur in individuals…and in events."
- ―Mace Windu
Shatterpoints were a complex Force phenomenon, perceivable only by an unknown innate talent or immense focus and concentration on the part of the Force user. Shatterpoints were akin to fault lines, similar to different pathways of actions. Adept Force users were able to perceive these faults through the Force, and influence them.
Shatterpoints were perceived like faults in a Corusca gem. In relation to events, a single "strike," or action, could cause events to transpire completely differently than they might otherwise have. Often, shatterpoints existed for only brief moments, as they could be affected by even the smallest actions. Shatterpoints could also be discovered in the physiology of living beings. Cade Skywalker was able to perceive shatterpoints in Darth Talon and Nyna Calixte, whom he had previously healed from mortal injury. By focusing through the Force on where the healing had taken place, Skywalker was able to see where her old wounds were, and reopen them.
When applied to physical items, shatterpoints worked much in the same manner. An individual would view an item through the Force, noting where it came together and also noting weak points in its composition. By allowing the Force to surge through them into the weak point, individuals could effectively "shatter" the object, causing it to break into multiple fragments. Because the Force granted supernatural ability to those who were adept in its use, materials thought to be near-indestructible were easily destroyed. Such was the case with Jedi Knight Jaina Solo, who effortlessly shattered a disc of pure Mandalorian iron while practicing the technique under her uncle, Luke Skywalker.
Kreia could perceive shatterpoints which she described as "fractures." The status of the two phenomena as one and the same was implicit in Kreia's description of the fractures, which she said could be manipulated by finding the "critical point." Kreia's philosophy hinged in an important way around shatterpoints: prima facie benevolent actions might in fact end harmfully if one was unsure of the myriad repercussions that would follow.
Shortly prior to the First Battle of Geonosis, Mace Windu perceived Count Dooku to be a shatterpoint capable of ending the war. His attachments let his old friend live, however, and so Dooku was able to go on and initiate the Clone Wars. In only a short span of time, the shatterpoint that made Dooku the heart of the war disappeared. Eventually Mace realized a number of shatterpoints connected with Anakin Skywalker, prior to Anakin's fall. Mace was also able to sense the Shatterpoint of Darth Sidious; his trust in Skywalker.
The Sith Lord Darth Caedus used this ability to destroy the beskar-forged armor of the Mandalorian Protector Roegr. By tapping the breastplate lightly with the hilt of his lightsaber, Caedus was able to completely shatter the armor. When Caedus was still Jacen Solo, he destroyed the blasters of several Centerpoint guards merely by exerting Force pressure in the weak points. Luke Skywalker revealed that he too could perceive shatterpoints, and taught this to Jaina Solo.
While in the Temple of the Sith, Kol Skywalker's spirit approached his son Cade and taught him how to use shatterpoint as a tool to defend himself. Cade used this technique to shatter the transparisteel case containing his father's lightsaber and sent the shattered fragments of transparisteel toward the Sith. Cade later used it to destroy the ancient Sith artifact known as the Muur Talisman. He also tried to use shatterpoint to release Deliah Blue from a Yuuzhan Vong bioform that had been attached to her back by Darth Maladi of the One Sith, however, the biot resisted Cade's efforts, also causing excruciating pain to its host when exposed to the Force.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Knights of the Old Republic 3: Commencement, Part 3 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- The Old Republic—The Lost Suns 1
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Shadow of Revan
- Shatterpoint (First appearance) (First identified as Shatterpoint)
- Jedi: Count Dooku
- Star Wars: Republic: Show of Force
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Hidden Enemy"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Liberty on Ryloth"
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Mentioned only)
- The Clone Wars: The Colossus of Destiny (Mentioned only)
- The Droid Deception (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith novelization
- Legacy of the Force: Betrayal
- Legacy of the Force: Invincible
- Legacy 18: Claws of the Dragon, Part 5
- Legacy 24: Loyalties, Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- Legacy 31: Vector, Part 12
- Legacy 45: Monster, Part 3
- Legacy—War 3
- Legacy—War 6
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Agents of Deception (Card: Shatterpoint)
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 25
- Legacy Era Campaign Guide (As Detonate)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Legacy of the Force: Invincible
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Shatterpoint
- ↑ The Old Republic—The Lost Suns 1
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Legacy 16: Claws of the Dragon, Part 3
- ↑ Legacy—War 6
- ↑ Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Legacy of the Force: Betrayal
- ↑ Legacy 18: Claws of the Dragon, Part 5
- ↑ Legacy 31: Vector, Part 12
- ↑ Legacy 45: Monster, Part 3
- ↑ starwarz.com