A product of Haor Chall Engineering, the Sheathipede-class was a transport shuttle with a curved hull and pincer-like landing gears, which lowered from the ship's rounded belly. At a length of fourteen-point-four meters, the shuttle was powered by two engines and featured an egress hatchway at the rear. Some models replaced the cockpit with an expanded passenger cabin, and were flown by automatic pilots. Although most were unarmed, some were fitted with a trio of laser cannons.
The Sheathipede-class shuttle was a short-range transport and escort shuttle primarily utilized to ferry passengers across a planet's surface, or between an orbiting starship and a world below. Neimoidian officials in the Trade Federation used these shuttles for transit from battleships to the surface of conquered planets, and often preferred models with automatic pilots as the absence of a cockpit allowed for increased passenger space.
Viceroy Nute Gunray arrived in Theed during the Federation occupation of Naboo aboard a Sheathipede-class shuttle. He and his retinue emerged from the vessel's rear hatchway to survey their victory over the Naboo people. Gunray continued to make use of these shuttles, and fled Geonosis following the outbreak of war ten years after the Naboo affair. Doctor Nuvo Vindi maintained a Sheathipede-class shuttle which was captured by the Galactic Republic during a raid on his laboratory during the Blue Shadow Virus affair. Following the Battle of Coruscant in the final days of the Clone Wars, General Grievous traveled to Pau City on Utapau to meet with the Separatist Council.
Three Sheathipede-class transport shuttles were present on Agamar, where the Spectres and General Kalani's droid forces used them to escape a battle against the Galactic Empire. One shuttle piloted by droids was shot down in the escape, while the remaining two made it to safety, the one shuttle belonging to the Spectres christened the new Phantom II.
- Star Wars Rebels (Set: 75170 The Phantom)
- (First identified as Neimoidian escort shuttle)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Sheathipede-class transport shuttle)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Mystery of a Thousand Moons"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Children of the Force"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Star Wars Rebels – "The Last Battle"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Blue Shadow Virus"
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "The Last Battle"