The Shield Gate was a wheel-shaped space station put in orbit around the tropical Outer Rim planet of Scarif by the Galactic Empire. It served as an opening through which Imperial starships could bypass the planet's otherwise impenetrable deflector shield. During the battle of Scarif, the Rebel Alliance launched a successful assault on the station, allowing them to bypass the shield and attack Scarif's Imperial security complex.
The Shield Gate was an Imperial space station placed in orbit around the planet Scarif, an Imperial world housing the Empire's security complex, a research and development site for the Death Star project. The station consisted of a gray, wheel-shaped structure with adjacently-facing hangar bays that housed many TIE/ln space superiority starfighters. The purpose of the Shield Gate was to allow passage through Scarif's encompassing deflector shield. As Imperial starships and cargo approached, a gate officer would give clearance and create an opening in the center of the station, allowing the vessels access to the planet's surface.
Shortly before the Battle of Yavin, as part of their mission to steal the plans to the Empire's planet-destroying superweapon, the Death Star, the Alliance to Restore the Republic launched an assault on the Shield Gate in the hope of gaining access to the surface of Scarif. After Jyn went through the gate and sent them a message from the Citadel Tower, the Alliance sent some T-65B X-wing starfighters to enter the Shield Gate and attack the planet's military installations. Even though the Galatic Empire attempted to close the Shield Gate to protect the complex, some of the fighters were able to fly through and attack the base, before the Rebels destroyed the gate and shield by hurling two Imperial Star Destroyers into the space station with their spacecraft. This victory eventually led to the successful theft of the plans and the destruction of the Death Star.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novel
- Star Wars Battlefront (First appearance) (DLC)
- (First pictured)
- Breznican, Anthony (November 21, 2016). 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' - 15 new photos!. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on November 21, 2016. (First identified as Shield Gate)
- Rogue One: Scarif (December 1, 2016). Retrieved on December 1, 2016.
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Breznican, Anthony (November 21, 2016). New Rogue One image: See the 'shield gate' protecting the Empire's Los Alamos. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on November 21, 2016.
- ↑ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story | official international trailer #3 (2016)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1
- ↑ Entertainment Weekly's Ultimate Guide to Rogue One
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope