Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
A large ovoid device the size of a cavern, when activated it generated intense ultrasonic vibrations that disable droids and other technology in an ever widening circle with the Shock Drum at its epicenter. The Shock Drum's vibrations become increasingly powerful the longer it was left on and in time resulted in massive seismic groundquakes and damage and even death to organic life within range as their molecules literally vibrated apart.
It was originally conceived of as a device for deployment against enemy fortifications and military bases where it would soften them up by disabling and weakening their defenses. However it was discovered by Republic scientists that over a prolonged period it would cause the core of a planet to destabilize eventually causing it to reach critical mass and literally shatter apart, destroying the entire planet. Following this discovery the head of the Republic's superweapons program, General Var Suthra shut the project down and they only ever produced a single prototype based on Tatooine.
Unfortunately for the Republic, the details of the Shock Drum were among those plans stolen by Sith infiltrator Sith Lord Tarnis. This resulted in the Sith, under the command of Darth Angral seizing control of the project and stealing the prototype. On learning that the Jedi responsible for his son's death was on Tatooine, Darth Angral ordered his subordinate Lord Praven to activate the Shock Drum and destroy Tatooine in order to kill the Jedi and his companions. However, Praven disobeyed his master's order to destroy the new deactivation code, believing he should face the Jedi Knight honorably. Fortunately, after defeating Praven in a duel the Sith surrendered to him and was convinced to join the Jedi Order. With his help the Jedi Knight was able to shut down the Shock Drum before it destabilized the planet's core.
Behind the scenesEdit
Depending on the player's choices, the Shock Drum can either be buried, leave its fate up to Var Suthra or agree to its continued use.
Star Wars: Imperial Handbook: A Commander's Guide mentions the Shock Drum in its section on superweapons, but mistakenly states that it was built by the Sith Empire.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (First appearance)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "The Shock Drum" on Tatooine
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia
- ↑ Using comments and information from The Old Republic—The Lost Suns 2, The Last Battle of Colonel Jace Malcom, and The Old Republic: Annihilation, it is possible to place the events of the Prologue and Act I for the Jedi Knight, Smuggler, and Trooper classes in Star Wars: The Old Republic in 3643 BBY, the general events of Act II in 3642 BBY, and the events of Act III for all classes in 3641 BBY.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "The Sand Demon" on Tatooine
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 The Shock Drum's dimensions have been estimated using members of the Jawa species, which has an average height of 1 meter, as a measuring standard.