- "I can't believe there's still slavery in the galaxy. The Republic's anti-slavery laws—"
"The Republic doesn't exist out here. We must survive on our own."
- ―Padmé Amidala and Shmi Skywalker discuss slavery on Tatooine
Slavery was a practice and institution where sentient beings were bought, sold, and held as property of other sentient beings. Although the Galactic Republic outlawed slavery, it still existed around the time of the Clone Wars. Tatooine had a slave population living in Mos Espa, and slaves had chips implanted into their bodies that would explode if the slave attempted to escape. Centuries earlier, Zygerria controlled a powerful Slave Empire, which some on Zygerria attempted to rebuild during the Clone Wars.
With the rise of the Galactic Empire, slavery once again became commonplace, particularly among non-Human species, which were considered sub-standard by the Empire. One such example was the Wookiees, who were pressed into service at the spice mines of Kessel following the Empire's conquering of their homeworld of Kashyyyk. Another example was on Cymoon 1 where the Empire utilized slaves to keep Weapons Factory Alpha (the largest weapons factory in the galaxy) running day and night. In many other cases, those that were not actually slaves in name nevertheless worked in near slave-like existences, forced to endure grueling jobs to eke out a meager living while also often having to contend with corrupt Imperial officials.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Journeys: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars film
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Children of the Force" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Nightsisters" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Kidnapped"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Slaves of the Republic"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Escape from Kadavo"
- Star Wars 7: From the Journals of Old Ben Kenobi: "The Last of His Breed" (Mentioned only)
- Lost Stars
- Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion
- The Rebellion Begins
- Star Wars Rebels – "Idiot's Array"
- Servants of the Empire: Imperial Justice (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Princess Leia, Part II (Mentioned only)
- "Last Call at the Zero Angle"—Star Wars Insider 156 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Darth Vader 1: Vader
- Star Wars 1: Skywalker Strikes
- Star Wars 2: Skywalker Strikes, Part II
- Star Wars 3: Skywalker Strikes, Part III
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- (as "slave")
- Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes
- Star Wars Rebels Annual 2016 (as "slave")
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- (as "slave")
- ; image #1 (of 8)