Sluis Van was a world located along the Rimma Trade Route. It was the site of an extensive deep-space docking facility and shipyard, the largest and most impressive in the area. The docking station was defended by perimeter battle stations, while the shipyards were managed by an outer system defense network as well as the Sluis Control. The leader of Sluis Van was called a khedive.
The Sluissi were long supporters of the Galactic Republic, with Sluis Van being home to a vital network of Republic shipyards that were destroyed by the Sith during the Great Galactic War. Millennia later, during the final years of the Republic, they became disgusted with the Galactic Senate whom they blamed as being massively corrupt and causing galaxy-wide injustice.
The planet was represented in the Galactic Senate by Bor Gracus and then Corlissi Ludar, until 22 BBY, when Sluis Van seceded shortly before the Clone Wars. During the Wars, Sluis Van was a Separatist stronghold. At the end of the Clone Wars, Sluis Van, as well as many other Confederate worlds were besieged by Republic forces, but Sluis Van held off the Republic. However, the civilians didn't fare well, as mass-starvation broke out on the planet as a result of the Outer Rim Sieges.
By 4 ABY, the planet had become an Imperial fortress world under control of Superior General Sander Delvardus. Sluis Van was liberated by the New Republic in 5 ABY. Despite the Sluis Van Congregate not wanting to cut all connections to the Empire, being as it was one of their largest shipyard clients, the planet joined the New Republic several months after the death of Emperor Palpatine.
During the Thrawn campaign, the Sluis Van Shipyards were one of the main shipyards of the New Republic. The planet was the site of a battle with Grand Admiral Thrawn during his campaign against the New Republic. He attacked 112 stripped-down warships docked over the planet, attempting to capture some of them. Although he failed, Thrawn's forces managed to leave over 40 of the vessels with inoperable control systems.
During the Yuuzhan Vong War, the world and its shipyards were crucial to keeping the New Republic supplied with new warships. Following the loss of Fondor, additional units of the New Republic Navy, including several carriers, were deployed to the region for added protection, when Sluis Van took over Fondor's operations. It went on to be a key world in the Galactic Alliance. During the Second Galactic Civil War, it was feared that its shipyards would be a target for the forces of the newly formed Confederation.
Behind the scenesEdit
The novel Jedi Trial erroneously portrays the Sluis sector, including Sluis Van, as being territory controlled by the Republic, instead of by the Confederacy.
On page 227 in The Essential Atlas, the name of the planet is misspelled as "Sluis Var".
The planet and shipyards that Sith forces devastated, in the Great Galactic War, look very similar to Kuat. Quite probably a mistake.
- Heir to the Empire Sourcebook
- Dark Force Rising Sourcebook
- Wanted by Cracken
- The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook
- Alliance Intelligence Reports
- Star Wars: Rebellion: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 3 (ACK3, Admiral Ackbar)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 5 (THR2–4, Grand Admiral Thrawn)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 56
- The New Essential Chronology
- Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith Incredible Cross-Sections
- Starships of the Galaxy, Saga Edition
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas
- The Unknown Regions
- The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Strongholds of Resistance
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 The Essential Atlas
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Heir to the Empire
- ↑ The DarkStryder Campaign
- ↑ Dark Force Rising
- ↑ X-Wing: Wraith Squadron
- ↑ Recon & Report: The Journey to Coruscant
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- ↑ Heir to the Empire 20th Anniversary Edition