- "A good soldier always knows how to use whatever equipment is at hand: computers, droids, vehicles, communications gear, and - of course - weapons. Knowing what a weapon is capable of - and more importantly, what it isn't capable of - can save your life in a tough situation."
- ―Colonel Marck Linth, Alliance SpecForces (5th Regiment).
Soldiers were individuals trained in a variety of martial skills and represented the core of any military force. Many of these individuals volunteered to fight for their government, but some were drafted into service. Those who fought for monetary payment were generally called mercenaries. Soldiers received basic training in a wide range of weaponry and combat tactics, from hand-to-hand combat to heavy weapons. Soldiers that received advanced training and equipment were called commandos.
Soldiers of the Galactic Republic that served during the Old Republic era consisted of Republic soldiers and Republic troopers. During the Clone Wars, the Republic's infantry force consisted mainly of Clone troopers. The basic soldiers of the Galactic Empire's Imperial Military were the Imperial Army troopers and the stormtroopers, who were almost exclusively Human. During the Rebellion era, the Rebel Alliance's standard foot soldiers were the Rebel troopers, while the specially trained soldiers were called SpecForce, or Alliance Special Forces.
Small teams of soldiers were sometimes organized into squads which consisted of four to six members and led by a higher ranking soldier. Two or more squads together formed a company. In the lead of large groups of soldiers were commanders who had great knowledge of tactics and strategy which enabled those under their command to fight with enhanced efficiency. The combined forces of soldiers who fought on foot were usually referred to as infantry.
Spacefaring soldiers were known as star-warriors or marines.[source?]
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Shadow of Revan
- Knight Errant
- The Clone Wars: Decide Your Destiny: The Lost Legion
- Han Solo at Stars' End
- Dawn of Defiance
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
- Star Wars: Assault Team
- Riders of the Maelstrom
- Otherspace II: Invasion
- Death in the Undercity
- "Assignment: Decoy"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 7
Notes and ReferencesEdit
- Soldier on Wikipedia