Sonsigo was a Bravaisian gemologist and the podmate of Munduri. The pair worked together and were attracted to glittering gems and metals, offering their services for the appraisal of precious stones harvested on newly catalogued worlds. They would pay top prices for any gems or metals that they decided to buy. Both Sonsigo and Munduri were present in the castle of the pirate Maz Kanata on the planet Takodana when the smuggler Han Solo arrived with the scavenger Rey, the former stormtrooper Finn and the astromech droid BB-8. Soon after the groups arrival, many of the establishment's occupants rushed outside to witness the destruction of the Hosnian system by the First Order's Starkiller Base superweapon. The castle itself was soon attacked and destroyed by the forces of the First Order. Sonsigo's skin was blue and the Bravaisian's eyes were sensitive, requiring protective goggles while the gemologist was on Takodana.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "They have a great charm about them because they rely very much on the skills of hand puppetry, and they bring a very different life to them than a character that's worn on someone's head."
- ―Neal Scanlan discusses the Sonsigo and Munduri puppets in the "Creating Creatures" featurette
Sonsigo was brought to life by creature and droid performer Olly Taylor in the film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, which was released in North America on December 18, 2015. Sonsigo and Munduri were both hand puppets controlled by their preformers from below the bench the characters sat on. The character was not identified in the film and known only as a "snooty pirate" on set, but received a name in the reference book Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary, which was written by Pablo Hidalgo and released in conjunction with the film.
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Graphic Novel Adaptation
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as Sonsigo)
- Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy