|Space Battle in the Kessel Asteroid Field|
In orbit of Kessel
Decisive Rebel victory
The Space Battle in the Kessel Asteroid Field was a rescue operation during the Galactic Civil War.
- "Those craft may help us but I fear for the citizens of Fresia and Incom's scientists. The Empire may make an example of them to keep other systems in line..."
- ―Mon Mothma
After the Battle of Fresia, in which the Rebel Alliance extracted 4 X-wing starfighter prototypes from an Imperial depot on Fresia, the Galactic Empire retaliated by taking a number of Incom scientists hostage. The Imperial convoy transporting the hostages passed through The Maw and prepared to land on Kessel to deliver the scientists to the infamous prisons.
The Rebel Alliance quickly learned of this. Led by Captain Raymus Antilles, the Alliance Fleet sent a task force to Kessel consisting of a number of Y-wings. The bombers would prove invaluable during the operation to disable the Imperial Shuttles carrying the scientists, thus preventing them from descending into the planet's atmosphere.
- "If we can get to those shuttles during the transfer, we may be able to pull the prisoners right out from under the Empire's nose!"
- ―Captain Antilles
The Rebels ambushed the Imperial Navy in a narrow corridor through an asteroid field. While the corvettes, frigates and starfighters engaged the Imperial ships in combat, the Sundered Heart and a team of Y-wings disabled the shuttles.
The Y-wings opened fire with their ion cannons, disabling the first transports. Moving quickly, the Sundered Heart docked with the shuttles. A small commando team boarded the shuttles and rescued the scientists. However, the Empire was determined to not allow the scientists to fall into Rebel hands, going so far as attempting to destroy the shuttles before they could be boarded. A call for reinforcements was issued by the Imperial commander, and two Victory-class Star Destroyers were detected entering the system.
As the last shuttle was boarded, the Imperial reinforcements finally arrived in the system and began to overwhelm the small Rebel force. With not a moment to lose, the Rebels cleared the asteroid field and jumped to lightspeed.
- "The rescued Incom scientists have provided us with a wealth of scientific knowledge that will benefit all of the Rebellion. We are fortunate to have them on our side."
- ―Mon Mothma
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars: Empire at War (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Prima Official Game Guide (First identified as Space Battle in the Kessel Asteroid Field)
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption: Prima Official Game Guide
- The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit