- "This is no cave!"
- ―Han Solo
Exogorths, also known as space slugs or giant space slugs, were members of a silicon-based species that resided in the hollows of asteroids. At least one space slug lived in the Hoth asteroid belt.
Biology and appearance
Space slugs would reach full maturity at ten meters and reproduced by splitting into two smaller, separate bodies. If a space slug was incapable of this process, its growth would continue uninterrupted, potentially reaching lengths of up to 900 meters. Slugs of this size were known to swallow starships whole and house entire ecosystems.
Often living in asteroid fields, space slugs would burrow into an asteroid until completely hidden. From there, they would feed off stellar energy emissions, mineral-rich deposits from the asteroid, floating space debris, and other silicon-based creatures, such as mynocks. Largely dormant, the opportunistic feeder could lunge upon passing ships, however doing so would use up all of its energy, exhausting it.
After the Battle of Hoth, the Millennium Falcon fled pursuing TIE fighters by hiding inside what they believed to be the crater of a large asteroid; in reality, the maw was a giant space slug. While sitting in the cockpit, Leia Organa was disturbed by a mynock, and she stepped outside with Han Solo and Chewbacca to investigate. When shots were fired, the space slug lurched: Solo, realizing where they actually were, ordered everyone back in and flew the Falcon out before the space slug closed its mouth. The space slug emerged and snapped its jaws at the Falcon, but the freighter was too fast, so it receded into the crater.
- A New Dawn (Mentioned only)
- Bounty Hunt
- Star Wars Battlefront (DLC)
- Star Wars 4: Skywalker Strikes, Part IV (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
- Aftermath (Mentioned only)
- The Legends of Luke Skywalker
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know (First identified as Exogorth)
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- ; image #10 (of 16)
- ; images #10, 11 (of 17)