- "Drink it down, boys, for the black of space is cold. Drink it down, boys, for it's always better to live hard and die young than live not and die old."
- ―A spacer's toast
Spacer, or mariner, was a slang term that referred to those who made their livings flying through space, including pilots and crew. Most spacers ran freight, charter, or information collection operations, although many worked or moonlighted as mercenaries, bounty hunters, and smugglers. Some were hyperspace explorers. Other slang terms for "spacer" included star-hopper (which became famously attached to a group of spacers on Aduba-3), star-jumper, star-rover, and planet-jumper. The term was usually used only to describe civilians within spacefaring professions.
Behind the scenesEdit
Spacer is used much in the same way that sailor is used today.
Star-hopper was originally used in the first issues of Marvel's Star Wars as a synonym of spacer.
The term spacer was used to refer to the player's character in Star Wars Galaxies. Many of the quests completed by the player are considered canon; for instance, in The Story of General Grievous: Lord of War, author Abel G. Peña attributed the death of Necrosis to "a motley band of spacers," referring to Star Wars Galaxies players, who kill Necrosis in a quest on Kashyyyk.
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, First Edition
- Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe
- Super Empire Strikes Back Official Game Secrets
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Second Edition
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire trading cards (Card: )
- Shadows of the Empire Planets Guide
- Star Wars Gamemaster Screen, Revised
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided Quick Reference Guide
- Ultimate Adversaries
- The Story of General Grievous: Lord of War
- The Essential Atlas
- The Unknown Regions
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Incredible Vehicles
- Millennium Falcon Owners' Workshop Manual
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Suns of Fortune
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook