- "General Kenobi, you're clear to land, Docking Bay Five. Ready to proceed to Teth on your order."
- ―Spirit of the Republic Air Group Control
The Spirit of the Republic was a Venator-class Star Destroyer in the service of the navy of the Galactic Republic during the pan-galactic conflict known as the Clone Wars. The Spirit served as transport for Jedi Master and Grand Army of the Republic General Obi-Wan Kenobi both to and from the planet Tatooine for negotiations with Jabba the Hutt, and also as the flagship of Republic admiral Wullf Yularen, during the Battle of Teth in the year 22 BBY.
- "Skywalker, we're going to drop the deflectors, but we need to lose those vultures. Divert to the aft hangar, I repeat, aft hangar. And check your transponder next time you commandeer an enemy vessel. We've had a few suicide runs before, and we shoot first."
- ―Wullf Yularen, aboard the Spirit of the Republic, to Anakin Skywalker
The Venator-class Star Destroyer, Spirit of the Republic, served in the Galactic Republic Navy during the galaxy-spanning conflict known as the Clone Wars, a war waged between the Republic and the Separatists of the Confederacy of Independent Systems. In the year 22 BBY, Jedi General Obi-Wan Kenobi utilized the Spirit for transportation to the planet Tatooine, where the Jedi Master met and negotiated with the Hutt crime lord, Jabba Desilijic Tiure, concerning the rescue of his recently kidnapped son, Rotta. Upon the completion of their terse negotiations, Kenobi returned to the Spirit via his Delta-7B Aethersprite-class light interceptor, and ordered the cruiser to depart for Teth. There, Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker, Skywalker's Padawan Ahsoka Tano, and Torrent Company's clone troopers were attempting to rescue the missing Hutt child from the battle droids of the CIS.
Serving as the flagship of Republic admiral Wullf Yularen, the warship Spirit of the Republic emerged from hyperspace over Teth and moved into the planet's atmosphere, only to be swept up in the ongoing battle being waged between Skywalker's 501st Legion soldiers, and the droid army under the authority of Dark Acolyte and Separatist commander, Asajj Ventress. While Kenobi launched an attack on the ancient B'omarr monastery at the heart of the fighting, leading a squadron of V-19 Torrent starfighters and LAAT/i gunships from his starfighter, the Spirit engaged a Confederate Munificent-class star frigate in the upper atmosphere. It was during this battle with the Confederate frigate that transponder code scanners aboard the Spirit of the Republic picked up an incoming CIS transponder signal, and opened fire on what turned out to be General Skywalker aboard the commandeered freighter vessel, the Twilight; after suffering a number of Separatist suicide runs in the past, the Spirit's "shoot first" standard operating procedure had been solidified. However, once Skywalker managed to convince Admiral Yularen of the Twilight's true allegiances, the Spirit's deflector shields were temporarily lowered in order to provide the Jedi General access to the rear hangar bay to land. Skywalker had been under fire from several pursuing Vulture droids, however, and when the Spirit's laser cannons fired on the incoming droid starfighters, one of the Vultures was hit and sent careening into the open hangar bay. The subsequent explosion from its impact killed the clone naval officers overseeing the hangar, and severely damaged the bay. Skywalker was forced to take the young Huttlet he managed to rescue from the monastery back to his father Jabba on Tatooine aboard the Twilight, with only his Padawan and astromech droid R2-D2 for support.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Spirit of the Republic first appeared in the 2008 adult novelization of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars film, written by author Karen Traviss. The ship subsequently appeared, albeit unnamed, in the film itself when it debuted in theaters several weeks later on August 15.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars novelization (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars film
- The Clone Wars: Decide Your Destiny: Tethan Battle Adventure
- The Clone Wars: Decide Your Destiny: Dooku's Secret Army
- Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures – "Card Commander" (Card: Spirit of the Republic)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 Star Wars: The Clone Wars film
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 Star Wars: The Clone Wars novel
- ↑ The Essential Reader's Companion places Star Wars: The Clone Wars (film) in 22 BBY.