The sporting blaster or sporting blaster pistol was a blaster variant that came in pistol and rifle types. These light weapons were often used by those of noble heritage, who preferred a more elegant alternative to the uncivilized standard blaster.
These thin-barrelled blasters were designed for use in firing ranges and small-game hunting. They were light and easy to carry. Sporting blasters had a shorter range and packed less power than a standard blaster, though they had the advantage of being more affordable, and required less bureaucratic hassle to obtain.
Sporting blasters were often associated with the galaxy's rich and powerful, who wanted a blaster for personal protection, but didn't like to be seen with a cumbersome, awkward blaster rifle. More rugged sporting blaster models were also used for game-hunting, hence the name. The reason for the nobility carrying sporting blasters lay in the fact that most models could be quickly and easily broken down into three parts and then put back together for transport. Sometimes they were used for dueling.
The availability of sporting blasters over other types of blaster weapon made them popular among members of the Rebel Alliance; Leia Organa herself often carried a Drearian Defense Conglomerate Defender sporting blaster during missions for the Rebellion.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- "Out of the Cradle"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 2
- "When the Domino Falls"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 3
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- "Priority: X"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 12
- "Droid Trouble"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 3
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine
- The Abduction
- "The Spira Regatta"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 1
- "Stranded"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 1
- "You're in the Army Now!"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 2
- "Loyalties"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 4
- "Idol Intentions"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 12
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars: Battlefront II
- The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse (Mentioned only)