A squadron was an aerial or space unit, generally composed of starfighters such as the T-65B X-wing starfighter, or a special group of larger warships, such as Death Squadron. The most common make up for starfighter squadrons was 12 ships. Squadrons would be given names and generally had a Wing Commander or leader that was in charge of the pilots. In cases of larger groups it would be led by an Admiral or Captain. Death Squadron was personally led by Darth Vader, the Dark Lord of the Sith.
The word "squadron" also applied to army units, such as Lightning Squadron of the Grand Army of the Republic. During the Clone Wars, the squadron's Advanced Recon Force troopers served as reconnaissance and cavalry units on the battlefield of Ryloth.
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes (First identified as Red Squadron)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- (Slideshow Biography)
- ; image #5 (of 8)
- ; images #1, 4, 5, 6, 9, 11 (of 12)