According to Everi Chalis, Star Destroyers were the most resource-intensive ships the galaxy had ever seen, and only Kuat possessed shipyards capable of supporting and maintaining more than a handful at a time.
During the Clone Wars, the Galactic Republic's Navy consisted of many Star Destroyers including Venator-class Star Destroyers. These Star Destroyers saw action in numerous battles against the Separatist navy including the Battle of Coruscant. Following the transformation of the Republic into the Galactic Empire, the Republic's Star Destroyers were incorporated into the new Imperial Navy. Besides the Venator and Imperial-class Star Destroyers, other known models in Imperial service included the Victory and Secutor-class Star Destroyers.
During the rebellion and the Galactic Civil War, Imperial Star Destroyers took part in numerous engagements against the various rebel forces that eventually coalesced into the Alliance to Restore the Republic. Star Destroyers were deployed during the secret mission to Tatooine, Battle of Hoth, and the Battle of Endor.
Following the events at Endor, the Rebel Alliance's successor government, the New Republic, captured and destroyed numerous Star Destroyers in several engagements including the Battle over Naboo, the Rebellion on Akiva, the Battle for Kuat Drive Yards, and the Liberation of Kashyyyk. By 5 ABY, Grand Admiral Rae Sloane estimated that 75% of the Imperial Star Destroyers before Endor had either been destroyed, captured, or lost in "confirmable if curious ways." While trawling through the archives at the Hall of Imperial Register on Coruscant, Sloane discovered that the remaining 25% had mysteriously disappeared and their purported destruction had been falsified.
Later, Sloane learned that Fleet Admiral Gallius Rax secretly commanded Imperial fleets in the Almagest, the Recluse's Nebula, the Queluhan Nebula, the Ro-Loo Triangle, and the Inamorata. These fleets consisted of hundreds of Star Destroyers and thousands of smaller ships. Following the Attack on Chandrila, Rax ordered the Imperial fleets to assemble above the planet Jakku. Numerous Star Destroyers including Captain Ciena Ree's starship Inflictor saw action during the Battle of Jakku; a cataclysmic battle which ended the Galactic Civil War in favor of the New Republic.
Thirty years after the Battle of Endor, the barren surface of Jakku was still littered with the wreckage of countless Star Destroyers. These derelict starships were regularly targeted by scavengers. The First Order, a remnant of the Old Empire, was also known to utilize Star Destroyers as part of its fleet. The First Order's Resurgent-class Battlecruisers were inspired by the dagger-shaped design of the Old Empire's Star Destroyers.
Imperial-class Star DestroyerEdit
The Imperial-class Star Destroyer was a star destroyer employed by the Galactic Empire after the fall of the Galactic Republic as a replacement to the smaller Venator-class Star Destroyer. The Imperial-class consisted of two variants; Imperial I-class and Imperial II-class.
Qaz-class Star DestroyerEdit
Secutor-class Star DestroyerEdit
The Secutor-class Star Destroyer was a model of Star Destroyer used by the Galactic Empire sometime after the end of the Galactic Republic.
Tector-class Star DestroyerEdit
The Tector-class Star Destroyer was utilized by the Galactic Empire during the Battle of Endor. It was very similar to the Imperial-class, except it had neither a ventral hangar bay or ventral bulb.
Venator-class Star DestroyerEdit
The Venator-class Star Destroyer was a Capital ship used by the Galactic Republic during the Clone Wars. It was eventually phased out by the Galactic Empire, in favor of the larger Imperial-class Star Destroyer.
Victory-class Star DestroyerEdit
The Victory-class Star Destroyer was a model of Star Destroyer used by the Galactic Empire.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections
- ↑ Battlefront: Twilight Company
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Tarkin
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "The Forgotten Droid"
- ↑ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Shattered Empire, Part III
- ↑ Aftermath
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 Aftermath: Life Debt
- ↑ Lost Stars
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ Before the Awakening
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- ↑ Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- ↑ "The Levers of Power"—The Rise of the Empire
- Star Destroyer on Wikipedia