The Star Galleon-class frigate was another Imperial success for Kuat. Even if an attacker was able to withstand a Star Galleon-class ship's concussion missile launchers and ten turbolasers, or break through its shields, it was difficult to steal its cargo. The interior contained sophisticated anti-intruder defenses, and was defended by a ship's complement of up to three hundred troopers.
As a last resort, the cargo hold could actually be detached, and sent into hyperspace as a separate vessel, similar to an escape pod. A built-in homing device allowed Imperial agents to track the cargo hold as it automatically jumped at random through hyperspace.
Despite the promise of safety and security in the Galactic Empire, Imperial freighters were being attacked or stolen at an alarming rate. In response to the loss of numerous cargo shipments from pirate and Rebel attacks, the Empire decided to develop a capital ship combining sophisticated weaponry and shields with a 100,000 ton cargo capacity. Essentially, the Star Galleon-class was a transport that could act as its own escort.
Despite being of an Imperial design, several Star Galleons saw usage with independent civilian shipping companies. One stolen vessel, named Robber Baron, served as the flagship of the fearsome Poss'Nomin star pirate Reginald Barkbone, who infamously flew his ship through the Fire Rings of Fornax to evade pursuit by the Loronar navy.
- Star Wars 7
- Star Wars: Rebellion
- Mask of the Pirate Queen (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance
- "The Way of the Yrashu"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 2
- "A Bitter Winter"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 5
- Jedi Prince series (Mentioned only)
- (As "Imperial Star Galleon")
- (As "Imperial Star Galleon") (Reprint)
- Dark Force Rising (First mentioned)
- The Last Command
- The Star Wars Rules Companion (As "Star Galleon") (First mentioned)
- Imperial Sourcebook
- Cracken's Rebel Field Guide (As "Star Galleon")
- Dark Force Rising Sourcebook
- Wanted by Cracken (As "Star Galleon")
- Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim (As "Star Galleon")
- "Rebel Privateers!"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 2 (As "star galleon")
- Imperial Sourcebook, Second Edition (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Gamemaster Screen, Revised
- Pirates & Privateers
- The Far Orbit Project
- Star Wars: Rebellion: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Rebellion Era Sourcebook
- Starships of the Galaxy
- Ships of the Smuggler's Alliance"—Star Wars Gamer 4 "
- Starships of the Galaxy (Saga Edition)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Guide to Warfare (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion: Roleplaying Game BETA
- Stay on Target