- "It's silly not to explore the idea of a guy who grew up steeped in the Rebellion and the older Republic and all of those myths and legends. If you think about it, he grew up the way we did, hearing all of these stories."
- ―Charles Soule
Star Wars: Poe Dameron is an ongoing comic book series written by Charles Soule and drawn by Phil Noto that focuses on the Resistance pilot Poe Dameron. Published by Marvel Comics, the series focuses on the events prior to the film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens; it also features the astromech droid BB-8 and centers around the Resistance's struggle against the First Order. The series was first announced on January 14, 2016 in advance of Marvel's regular April 2016 solicitations. The first issue was published on April 6, 2016.
- "…to see people reacting to him so strongly now just feels like we’re hopefully in a great position."
- ―Charles Soule
Star Wars: Poe Dameron was announced in a USA Today exclusive on January 14, 2016. It was announced as an ongoing title written by Charles Soule, with art by Phil Noto. The comic, set before the events of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, focuses on the character of Poe Dameron during the events preceding his mission to Jakku as depicted in The Force Awakens. Because of Dameron's status as one of the breakout characters of the film, Soule said that Marvel Comics was well-positioned to tell a story about a character that people responded so well to—which does, of course, bring with it a pressure for him and Noto to ensure that they deliver a story worthy of the fan hype.
The story itself will explore Dameron's status as the best pilot in the Resistance while serving under the command of General Leia Organa. His personality will also be fleshed out more, while the comic will explore locations that are both new and familiar, as well as bring in legacy characters and new characters alike—BB-8 included. Writing Dameron proved to be an interesting challenge for Soule, who also worked on the comic miniseries Star Wars: Lando. Unlike Lando Calrissian, who Soule had been familiar with for thirty years, Dameron was someone new and someone he had only thought of for a few months, so writing about Dameron was not "as instinctive in some ways as writing a story about" Calrissian. Soule likened the comic to a Dameron-centric Mission: Impossible film.
Noto's approach to the art for the series included looking at X-wing reference material in order to develop the series' space battles, as well as looking at the films of Oscar Isaac, who plays Dameron. By studying how Isaac acts in The Force Awakens and in other films, Noto is able to better "act that part out" in his head while drawing. He would ask himself, "How would Oscar Isaac act in this situation as Poe Dameron?"
During the events of the comic, Dameron leads a squadron with an important mission and must contend with the threat of the First Order, along with a new nemesis who intends to stop Dameron and find the missing Jedi Master Luke Skywalker. For Soule, the new era represented in The Force Awakens offered an opportunity for new archetypes and allowed him to create a villain who "is going to feel fresh and cool." Soule does not anticipate there being a lot of flashback scenes, such as to Dameron's childhood with his parents, Shara Bey and Kes Dameron, who were introduced in the comic miniseries Star Wars: Shattered Empire. Instead, Soule's goal is to explore the story of Poe Dameron, who grew up with the legacy of the Rebel Alliance and the Old Republic, through Dameron's approach to situations and his interactions with other characters.
|Color code key:|
|Collected (TPB) issue||Released issue||Future issue||Story arc|
|Issue||Title||Publication date||Trade paperback||Publication date|
|Book I: Black Squadron|
|December 7, 2016|
|1||Black Squadron, Part I||April 6, 2016|
|2||Black Squadron, Part II||May 4, 2016|
|3||Black Squadron, Part III||June 8, 2016|
|4||Lockdown, Part I||July 6, 2016|
|5||Lockdown, Part II||August 17, 2016|
|6||Lockdown, Part III||September 7, 2016|
|Book II: The Gathering Storm|
The Gathering Storm
|July 4, 2017|
|7||The Gathering Storm||October 26, 2016|
|8||The Gathering Storm, Part I||November 9, 2016|
|9||The Gathering Storm, Part II||December 14, 2016|
|10||The Gathering Storm, Part III||January 11, 2017|
|11||The Gathering Storm, Part IV||February 15, 2017|
|12||The Gathering Storm, Part V||March 15, 2017|
|13||Poe Dameron 13||April 19, 2017|
|14||Poe Dameron 14||May 3, 2017|
|15||Poe Dameron 15||May 17, 2017|
|16||Poe Dameron 16||June 2017|
|A1||Poe Dameron Annual 1||June 2017|
- "Blaster"—Star Wars Insider 164
- "Blaster"—Star Wars Insider 165
- "Putting Poe to Paper"—Star Wars Insider 166
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Exclusive: 'Star Wars: Poe Dameron' comic book debuts in April. USA Today (2016-01-14). Retrieved on January 14, 2016.
- ↑ Poe Dameron (2016-) #7. Marvel Digital Comics Shop. Retrieved on August 24, 2016.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 MARVEL COMICS April 2016 Solicitations. Newsarama (January 19, 2015). Retrieved on January 19, 2015.
- ↑ STAR WARS POE DAMERON TP VOL 01 BLACK SQUADRON. Previews World. Retrieved on November 24, 2016.
- ↑ Marvel Comics Full MAY 2016 Solicitations. Newsarama (February 16, 2016). Retrieved on February 19, 2016.
- ↑ Marvel Comics Full JUNE 2016 Solicitations. Newsarama (March 22, 2016). Retrieved on March 22, 2016.
- ↑ STAR WARS POE DAMERON #4. PREVIEWSworld. Retrieved on May 5, 2016.
- ↑ Marvel Comics AUGUST 2016 Solicitations. Newsarama (2016-05-17). Retrieved on May 18, 2016.
- ↑ Marvel Comics SEPTEMBER 2016 Solicitations. Newsarama (June 21, 2016). Retrieved on June 21, 2016.
- ↑ DARTH VADER, HAN SOLO, More STAR WARS Titles Delayed. Newsarama (2016-08-05). Retrieved on August 7, 2016.
- ↑ STAR WARS POE DAMERON #8. Previews World. Retrieved on September 27, 2016.
- ↑ Marvel Comics DECEMBER 2016 SOLICITATIONS. Newsarama (2016-09-20). Retrieved on September 21, 2016.
- ↑ MARVEL COMICS January 2017 Solicitations. Newsarama (2016-10-18). Retrieved on October 18, 2016.
- ↑ MARVEL COMICS FULL FEBRUARY 2017 Solicitations. Newsarama (2016-11-22). Retrieved on November 24, 2016.
- ↑ MARVEL COMICS FULL MARCH2017 Solicitations. Newsarama (2016-12-20). Retrieved on December 20, 2016.
- ↑ MARVEL COMICS FULL APRIL 2017 Solicitations. Newsarama (2017-01-24). Retrieved on January 24, 2017.
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 MARVEL COMICS FULL MAY 2017 Solicitations. Newsarama (2017-02-21). Retrieved on February 21, 2017.
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 MARVEL COMICS FULL JUNE 2017 Solicitations. Newsarama (2017-03-21). Retrieved on March 21, 2017.
- Exclusive: 'Star Wars: Poe Dameron' comic book debuts in April. USA Today (2016-01-14). Retrieved on January 14, 2016.