- "The Hutts will not be allowed to expand their dominion at our expense."
- ―Supreme Chancellor Leontyne Saresh
In the wake of Karagga's death, the Hutt Toborro seizes the leadership of the Hutt Cartel, establishing himself as the new Supreme Mogul with Szajin, as his right-hand man. Seeing the Empire weakened, Toborro decides to continue Karagga's campaign of expansion, but with the planet Makeb at the heart of a new era of Hutt conquest—for Makeb is home to deposits of the incredibly rare and powerful mineral known as isotope-5. Isotope-5 is capable of warping electromagnetic and gravitational fields, and a gram of the substance can generate immense amounts of power. Toborro therefore pays off Makeb's defense force, the mercenary army known as the InterStellar Regulators, to help the Hutts conquer the world, and the Cartel blockades the Makeb system as Toborro begins to mine the isotope-5 in Makeb's core without any regard for what it would do to the planet.
Upon learning of the Hutts' actions, Chancellor Saresh consults with the Jedi Order and learns that the Hutts will likely try to continue their conquests if they are not stopped, so she pledges Republic aid to the citizens of Makeb. Saresh's forces make contact with Shalim Avesta, leader of the Makeb resistance and the planet's de facto Head of State, and help him rescue his niece Lemda, who is a geophysicist who was captured by the Regulators after she discovered that Toborro's drilling will cause the planet to break apart. After breaking into the Hutt Embassy in Makeb's capital Talaos City, the Republic forces and the Makeb resistance learn of the Ark, an enormous vessel being constructed inside the hollow Giant's Spear mesa that will ferry Toborro, the other Cartel personnel, and their isotope-5 stores off of the planet when the planet begins to break apart. The Republic and resistance forces promptly seize the Giant's Spear and the Ark, repurposing the vessel to carry Makeb's civilians as a true ark to safety.
A furious Toborro unleashes the Regulators against the Avesta Plantation, but the Republic forces head off the Regulators on the Fingers mesa and also destroy the Storm Carrier warship, killing the Regulator Vice-Commandant Grevin in the process. Toborro then reveals that the Ark is powered by isotope-5 before sending his Regulators to attack the settlement of Tarlam along with isotope-5 droids, powerful war droids powered by isotope-5, though the Republic and the resistance evacuate Tarlam's civilians to the Ark. Desperate for a fuel source to power the Ark, the Republic and resistance forces assault the Sanctuary research complex in order to locate Dr. Juvard Illip Oggurobb, a Hutt scientist and the creator of the Ark and the isotope-5 droids. The Republic forces are able to successfully locate Oggurobb with the Hutt's help in bypassing the Sanctuary's security systems, as Oggurobb wishes to defect to the Republic because he has realized Toborro has gone insane.
Oggurobb confirms that Toborro possesses the fuel rods, but warns the Republic that the Hutt leader has increased mining operations to maximum levels—an action that will result in the destruction of Makeb long before the civilians are evacuated. Republic forces then disabled several mining platforms and vented the planet's core, reducing the buildup of heat and the seismic activity, giving them more time. Around the same time, most of the leaders of the Hutt Cartel, having come to recognize that Toborro has gone insane, approach Shalim Avesta and the Republic with a request to board the Ark. The Republic convinces Avesta to allow the Hutts aboard the Ark in exchange for an alliance between the Hutt Cartel and the Republic, gaining the Republic a new ally in the ongoing war. Using a secret entrance provided by Oggurobb, Republic forces infiltrate Toborro's Palace and search for the fuel rods, confronting the mad Cartel leader. Toborro unleashes a powerful isotope-5 droid known as Toborro's Glittering Fury upon the intruders, but after it is defeated, the Hutt commits suicide by igniting his isotope-5 stockpiles in an attempt to kill the Republic forces. However, the Republic forces escape with the fuel rods before the palace's destruction and return to the Ark, where the fuel rods are installed and the Ark is launched just as the Giant's Spear collapses.
The Hutt Cartel is ordered to supply a new home and credits to the people of Makeb as part of their alliance with the Republic, but the Republic is surprised to see that Makeb's destruction did not come to pass—unbeknownst to them, Darth Marr's Imperial strike team was able to prevent the planet's destruction. As the crisis passes, it is discovered that Regulator holdouts are still alive down on the surface with thousands of civilians who were believed to be dead, leading Supreme Commander Malcom to devote Republic forces towards rescuing the people and securing the still-valuable world.
Around the same time, the Dark Councilor Darth Marr learns of Makeb's valuable isotope-5 resource and dispatches a small strike team to secure the isotope-5 reserves for the weakening Empire.
During this time, the forces of the Dread Masters acquire the Seeds of Rage—powerful dark side machines constructed by the Sith Lord Fulminiss—when they convince a guard to help steal them from the Arcanum, the Sith Emperor's secret storehouse of Sith artifacts and dark side experiments. The Dread Masters bury the Seeds on planets across the galaxy so that they can sow fear and darkness as the Seeds warp the environments around them, prompting both the Arcanum's keeper Darth Acina and the Jedi Master Cedral Gend to recruit help in locating and recovering the Seeds. However, the Sith Lord Tagriss leads a raid on the Arcanum after learning of the station's location, wreaking havoc and making off with the powerful Darkstaff.
Rise of the Hutt Cartel's central theme is a new planet, Makeb, to both the game and the Star Wars canon. This will introduce a new story in which the Hutt Cartel conquers Makeb in order to rival both the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire in power.
Operation: Scum and VillainyEdit
Rise of the Hutt Cartel also adds an all-new level 55 operation, Scum and Villainy. The operation entails the players heading to the planet of Darvannis to prevent a Hutt army of mercenaries from forming. Also included in the expansion is a level 55 nightmare mode version of the Terror From Beyond operation.
In addition to the main Operation, Scum and Villainy, the digital expansion also adds a mini-operation, Toborro's Courtyard, which can be accessed on Makeb.
Level 55 Hard Mode FlashpointsEdit
The expansion also features the long-awaited increase of the level cap from 50 to 55.
|Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel|
|PC Gamer (US)||63|
|Organizations and titles||Sentient species||Vehicles and vessels||Weapons and technology||Miscellanea|
Organizations and titles
Vehicles and vessels
Weapons and technology
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3
- ↑ Developer Profiles: Star Wars: The Old Republic. HeroEngine.com. Retrieved on February 14, 2013.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel—Republic Mission: "Trouble in Paradise" on Makeb
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel—Republic Mission: "Shelter from the Storm" on Makeb
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel—Republic Mission: "Failsafe" on Makeb
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel—Republic Mission: "The Ark" on Makeb
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel—Republic Mission: "Hitting the Hutts" on Makeb
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel—Republic Mission: "Old Feuds" on Makeb
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel—Republic Mission: "Consulting the Expert" on Makeb
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel—Republic Mission: "Planetary Surgery" on Makeb
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel—Republic Mission: "Taking on Toborro" on Makeb
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel—Imperial Mission: "A Cure for Armageddon" on Makeb
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel—Republic Mission: "Mass Exodus" on Makeb
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel—Republic Mission: "Countdown to Doomsday" on Makeb
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 Augustine, John (2012-06-04). The Old Republic announces upcoming level cap, new species, new planet, and free trial. PCGamer.com. Retrieved on February 8, 2013.
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic - Rise of the Hutt Cartel. GameRankings. Retrieved on December 4, 2013.
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic - Rise of the Hutt Cartel Review. Gamespot. Retrieved on December 4, 2013.
- ↑ Johnson, Lief (2013-04-21). Star Wars: The Old Republic - Rise of the Hutt Cartel Review. IGN.com. Retrieved on December 4, 2013.