Star Wars Adventures is an upcoming ongoing anthology comic book series set in the Star Wars canon. The IDW Publishing series, of which the first issue came out on July 12, 2017 on StarWars.com and will be released physically as a part of SDCC promotion, while the series will officially start on September 6, features stories from the entirety of Star Wars and is intended for all ages. The first Volume will be released as a part of the Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi publishing program.
The series was announced on April 14, 2017 at Celebration Orlando during the publishing panel as a new IDW Publishing ongoing comic book series aimed at younger audiences that would tell stories from across the saga.
A day later, in an interview with The Star Wars Show, IDW Publishing chief creative officer Chris Ryall talked more about the series. He revealed the fact that the book will be have rotating creative teams and that each issue will feature a lead story about popular characters from the films and back-up stories with lesser known or fan-favorite characters, including the ones from the TV series, hosted by Maz Kanata as the narrator. Ryall also said that some of the back-up stories will not be entirely canon.
On June 6, 2017, Ryall conducted an interview with the podcast Comics with Kenobi, where he spoke about the series. He said that a lot of people messaged him soon after the announcement about them wanting to do this their entire life. This allowed Ryall to make a large creative pool, from which he could pull from in the future. It was explained that while Marvel Comics still has the Star Wars comics licence, they don't have any books aimed at beginner readers, that's where Star Wars Adventures would come in.
Then, on June 14, 2017, IDW released their upcoming comics catalogue, which included the release information on the first and second issue of the series, excluding the SDCC Ashcan. Lead stories in both issues would be about Rey's adventures on Jakku prior to Star Wars: The Force Awakens, while issue 2 particularly would star Unkar Plutt. Issue 1's back-up story would be a "comical tale of clone catastrophe."
|Color code key:|
|Collected (TPB) issue||Released issue||Future issue|
|Issue||Title||Publication date||Writer||Artist||Trade paperback||Publication date|
|0||Star Wars Adventures Ashcan||July 12, 2017||Landry Q. Walker||Derek Cham|
|October 17, 2017|
|1||Star Wars Adventures 1||September 6, 2017||Cavan Scott||Derek Charm|
|2||Star Wars Adventures 2||September 20, 2017||Cavan Scott||Derek Charm|
|3||Star Wars Adventures 3||October 11, 2017||Landry Q. Walker||Eric Jones|
|February 20, 2018|
|4||Star Wars Adventures 4||November, 2017|
|5||Star Wars Adventures 5|
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 Albert Ching (2017-06-14). Star Wars Adventures: First Storylines, Creative Teams Revealed. CBR. Retrieved on June 14, 2017.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 Florian (2017-06-09). IDW: Neue Details und Cover zu Star Wars Adventures. Jedi-Bibliothek. Retrieved on June 9, 2017.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 July 2017 issue of PREVIEWS catalog
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Meagan Navarro (2017-04-15). Lucasfilm & IDW Reveal Star Wars Adventures Comic Series Art. Screenrant. Retrieved on April 15, 2017.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1
- ↑ Meagan Navarro (2017-04-14). IDW Is Publishing Its Own All-Ages Star Wars Comic. James Whitbrook. Retrieved on April 15, 2017.
- ↑ Meagan Navarro (2017-06-06). Comics With Kenobi #31. Coffee With Kenobi. Retrieved on June 14, 2017.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Chris Arrant (2017-07-18). FINN Out To Save Baby Creature from CAPTAIN PHASMA In STAR WARS ADVENTURES #3. NEWSARAMA. Retrieved on July 20, 2017.
- ↑ Penguin Random House (2017-07-22). Lucasfilm Publishing: New Star Wars Stories Panel - San Diego Comic-Con 2017. YouTube. Retrieved on July 24, 2017.
- Meagan Navarro (2017-04-15). Lucasfilm & IDW Reveal Star Wars Adventures Comic Series Art. ScreenRant. Retrieved on April 15, 2017.
- Eric Diaz (2017-04-14). Star Wars Adventures comic series announced at Celebration. Nerdist. Retrieved on April 15, 2017.
- Meagan Navarro (2017-04-14). IDW Is Publishing Its Own All-Ages Star Wars Comic. James Whitbrook. Retrieved on April 15, 2017.
- Florian (2017-06-09). IDW: Neue Details und Cover zu Star Wars Adventures. Jedi-Bibliothek. Retrieved on June 9, 2017.
- Albert Ching (2017-06-14). Star Wars Adventures: First Storylines, Creative Teams Revealed. CBR. Retrieved on June 14, 2017.