- "We’re extremely excited about these...we're going to be calling them Anthology films."
- ―Kiri Hart
The Star Wars Anthology Series is the banner title for a series of stand-alone Star Wars films, beginning with Rogue One: A Star Wars Story in December 2016. It was first announced at Celebration Anaheim on April 19, 2015.
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story — December 16, 2016
- Solo: A Star Wars Story — May 25, 2018
- Untitled Star Wars film — 2020
- "It's certainly exciting as a filmmaker, the notion that we can explore these stories that genuinely have a beginning, middle and an end, and don't necessarily have to tie into something specific."
- ―Kathleen Kennedy
In April 2012, five months before Lucasfilm Ltd. was sold to The Walt Disney Company, Star Wars creator George Lucas and producer Kathleen Kennedy sat to talk about the future of Star Wars. In one of their conversations, Lucas told Kennedy that he was planning to retire from blockbuster films and was going to focus on smaller and independently budgeted features, but he told her about the possibility of making more films centered in various characters from the Star Wars universe. Screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan was hired to write a Han Solo-centric film: "And when I got there, they said, here we have nine ideas. And those were George’s ideas. And I said, well I’m not sure I wanna do this. I’ve really done a lot of Star Wars. And they said, but look, one of these is Han Solo. I said, well okay. I do love Han Solo." (After Disney purchased Lucasfilm, he turned his attention to Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens.)
After the Disney deal
- "And it's a challenging kind of thing to write, it’s something that — you know, everybody wants to write a Star Wars movie, every filmmaker who comes at it, you can see them literally throwing themselves at Kathy like, "Give me a Star Wars." And I've found that they're surprised by just how tricky a sound it is to hit."
- ―Jon Kasdan
News that the Disney-Lucasfilm brand was developing several theatrical pictures separate from the core, episodic Star Wars saga was reported in 2013, with Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg slated to write their own individual spinoff films. While director Gareth Edwards' then-untitled Rogue One project was announced in 2014 as the first of these standalone features, it was not until the following year on April 19 at Celebration Anaheim that the announcement was made that the spinoff films would collectively be known as the Star Wars Anthology Series.
On July 7, 2015, Lawrence Kasdan's Anthology film was given a release date of May 25, 2018, with Christopher Miller and Phil Lord attached to direct, and Kasdan's son Jon Kasdan contributing to the script as well. The film would follow the story of a young Han Solo. On June 20th, 2017, it was announced that Lord and Miller were stepping away from the project. on June 22, it was announced Ron Howard would assume directorial duties on the film.
In July 2015, director Guillermo del Toro, who was at one point considered to direct Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, commented that he pitched an idea for a film about Jabba Desilijic Tiure, and in 2017, it was reported that the idea was one of the many projects considered by Lucasfilm Ltd. In August 2017, several sources rumored that a film focusing on Obi-Wan Kenobi was in development, with Stephen Daldry in negotiations to direct it and with Ewan McGregor potentially reprising his role. It was also reported that Lucasfilm was considering various spin-off films focused on many beloved Star Wars characters like Boba Fett or Master Yoda.
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10
- ↑ 2.0 2.1
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7
- ↑ Michael Giacchino Replaces Alexandre Desplat For 'Rogue One' Score. Heroic Hollywood (September 15, 2016). Retrieved on September 15, 2016.
- ↑ Pulver, Andrew (2016-22-09). Disney confirms Star Wars anthology movie for 2020. The Guardian. Retrieved on Error: Invalid time., 2016. Retrieved on September 24, 2016. "Disney chief executive Bob Iger has confirmed that another entry in the Star Wars series of stand-alone "anthology" movies is set for release in 2020."
- ↑ Sciretta, Peter (December 17, 2015). Interview : Lucasfilm Head Kathleen Kennedy Talks About The Future of ‘Star Wars’. /Film. Retrieved on February 13, 2018.
- ↑ Sciretta, Peter (May 25, 2018). Lawrence and Jonathan Kasdan on Writing Han Solo’s Origin and Figuring Out the Kessel Run [Interview]. slashfilm.com.
- ↑ Evangelista, Chris (February 12, 2018). Han Solo Movie Was in Development With George Lucas and Lawrence Kasdan Before Disney Bought Lucasfilm. /Film. Retrieved on February 13, 2018.
- ↑ Marnell, Blair (July 13, 2015). Guillermo Del Toro Wants to Make Star Wars: Jabba the Hutt Origin Film. Nerdist. Retrieved on August 21, 2017.
- ↑ Hood, Cooper (August 18, 2017). Star Wars: Jabba the Hutt Spinoff Being Considered By Lucasfilm. Screen Rant. Retrieved on August 21, 2017.
- ↑ Chavez, Danette (August 18, 2017). You will soon learn to appreciate the Jabba the Hutt spin-off in development. A.V. Club. Retrieved on August 21, 2017.
- ↑ Kit, Borys (August 17, 2017). 'Star Wars' Obi-Wan Kenobi Film in the Works (Exclusive). The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved on August 17, 2017.
- ↑ Kroll, Justin (August 17, 2017). 'Star Wars' Obi-Wan Kenobi Movie in Early Development at Disney. Variety. Retrieved on August 17, 2017.