- "We’re extremely excited about these...we're going to be calling them Anthology films."
- ―Kiri Hart
The Star Wars Anthology Series is the banner title for a series of upcoming stand-alone Star Wars films, beginning with Rogue One: A Star Wars Story in December 2016. It was first announced at Celebration Anaheim on April 19, 2015.
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story — December 16, 2016
- Untitled Han Solo Anthology film — May 25, 2018
- Untitled Star Wars Anthology film — 2020
- "It's certainly exciting as a filmmaker, the notion that we can explore these stories that genuinely have a beginning, middle and an end, and don't necessarily have to tie into something specific."
- ―Kathleen Kennedy
News that the Disney-Lucasfilm brand was developing several theatrical pictures separate from the core, episodic Star Wars saga was reported in 2013, with Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg slated to write their own individual spinoff films. While director Gareth Edwards' then-untitled Rogue One: A Star Wars Story project was announced in 2014 as the first of these standalone features, it was not until the following year on April 19 at Celebration Anaheim that the announcement was made that the spinoff films would collectively be known as the Star Wars Anthology Series.
On July 7, 2015, Lawrence Kasdan's Anthology film was given a release date of May 25, 2018, with Christopher Miller and Phil Lord attached to direct, and Kasdan's son Jon Kasdan contributing to the script as well. The film will follow the story of a young Han Solo.
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8
- ↑ Michael Giacchino Replaces Alexandre Desplat For 'Rogue One' Score. Heroic Hollywood (September 15, 2016). Retrieved on September 15, 2016.
- ↑ Pulver, Andrew (2016-22-09). Disney confirms Star Wars anthology movie for 2020. The Guardian. "Disney chief executive Bob Iger has confirmed that another entry in the Star Wars series of stand-alone "anthology" movies is set for release in 2020."