- "Next year we'll see Star Wars Battlefront back with bigger and better worlds, because we now have the new movies to work off [and] not just the historical movies that we used before."
- ―Blake Jorgensen, Electronic Arts chief financial officer
Star Wars Battlefront II will be released on November 17, 2017 by Electronic Arts. It is a sequel to 2015's Star Wars Battlefront. The sequel will include worlds depicted in the new Star Wars films as well as content from the original and prequel trilogies.
The storyline predominantly follows Iden Versio, commander of the Imperial Special Forces unit Inferno Squadron. Upon witnessing the destruction of the second Death Star, Versio's troops look to her for direction. Versio tells her troops that they will avenge the Emperor.
The game will return to the roots of the classic Battlefront games, using a class based system for infantry troopers with each class having a shared progression system, but with equipment differing depending on faction.
The classes will be Officer, Assault, Heavy, and Specialist.
More vehicles will be included for all factions, including Tauntauns. Space battles will also be making a return with new starships. Vehicles will also be a part of a new customization and progression system.
Playable hero and villain characters from the films will be expanded upon, with players able to customize skills to their liking. Creative Director Bernd Diemer stated that he wanted the heroes to have more depth rather than feeling like a momentary power up.
- Campaign: The game will include a brand-new canon storyline which bridges the gap between Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi and Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens.
- Skirmish: The game will also include singleplayer and two-person co-op Skirmish modes.
- Multiplayer: Multiplayer includes different online game modes which can support up to 40 simultaneous players.
The game's development was revealed in an interview with an EA executive in 2016. More information, including its development by DICE and Motive Studios, was revealed during EA's Livestream during E3 2016.
The game's development is a collaboration between DICE, who are developing the multiplayer, Motive Studios, who are developing the single player mode, and Criterion Software, who are developing the vehicle and flight controls. The game will include content from all three film trilogies. A goal of the game's story is to humanize the Empire in ways that haven't been seen before.
On April 12, 2017 a teaser trailer was leaked giving confirmation that the game would include content from all three main Star Wars eras, a single player campaign, and heroes such as Kylo Ren, Rey, Darth Maul, and Yoda. EA premiered this trailer the following day during their panel at 2017's Celebration Orlando. A gameplay trailer for the game was released on June 10, 2017 during the Battlefront II panel at E3 2017.
In September 2016, it was confirmed that the game would be realeased on November 17, 2017.
The game will have two editions the Standard edition and the Elite Trooper Deluxe edition. The Elite Trooper Deluxe Edition will include a Rey and Kylo The Last Jedi skin, early access to the game and game upgrades for weapons and Heroes
DICE hinted that the game will not include a season pass like the previous game, instead they wanted to find a better alternative in order to avoid "fragmenting" the community of players. It was confirmed during EA Play 2017 that there would not be a season pass, instead all DLC would be free to all players, the additional content would be released as seasons/events.
The Last Jedi SeasonEdit
The first Season expansion, The Last Jedi Season is set to be released in December and is centered around Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi, the eighth film in the Star Wars saga which is set to release on December 15, 2017. It will feature a space map over D'Qar, the new planet Crait, Resistance hero Finn and First Order villain Captain Phasma.
|Organizations and titles||Sentient species||Vehicles and vessels||Weapons and technology||Miscellanea|
- EA Games/Jade Raymond. The Future of EA Star Wars Games. Webpage. Retrieved on June 13, 2016.
- Star Wars Insider 172
- The Galaxy Will Keep Getting Bigger Post-Launch. Electronic Arts. ea.com (2017-06-10). Archived from the original on June 11, 2017. Retrieved on June 11, 2017.
Notes and referencesEdit
- Official Site
- EA Star Wars: A Look Ahead
- Prescott, Shaun (May 10, 2016). Star Wars Battlefront 2 will release in 2017. PC Gamer. Retrieved on May 10, 2016.