Star Wars: Episode IX is the upcoming ninth film in the Star Wars saga and the final film in the sequel trilogy, to be produced under the Disney-Lucasfilm brand. The film is slated to be directed by Colin Trevorrow and produced by Kathleen Kennedy and J.J. Abrams, based on a story treatment by Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson. It is scheduled for release in 2019.
- "We want to channel the invention and just the raw creativity and the boldness that George [Lucas] brought to these films and not being afraid that we're going to embarrass ourselves by doing something that might be crazy. When George Lucas made Star Wars, a lot of people thought it was crazy. When you try to pitch what that movie's about – if you've never heard of Star Wars before, you say, 'Here's a character. His father's part robot, but he can also do magic. And there's a guy who can fly in a spaceship. He's got a dog for a friend!' – it sounds insane. But it's the greatest story ever told. I just want to embrace that kind of invention and creativity that he brought to it."
- ―Colin Trevorrow, in a speech at Lucasfilm
Unofficial reports claimed in November 2012 that Lawrence Kasdan—who originally wrote the screenplays for both Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi—and Simon Kinberg would divide writing responsibilities for Star Wars: Episodes VIII and IX, and both would co-produce all three films of the upcoming sequel trilogy, alongside Kathleen Kennedy. However, in February 2013, Disney confirmed that Kasdan and Kinberg were working on standalone films, not main episodes. In June 2014, it was announced that director Rian Johnson, who had signed on to helm Episode VIII, would write the treatment for Episode IX. In August 2015, Colin Trevorrow was officially announced as director for Episode IX. Johnson and Trevorrow are working closely to ensure continuity between their respective films. Trevorrow has said that he will shoot on 65 mm film, and that he would like to capture some footage in actual outer space. Some sequences will also be filmed with IMAX cameras.
During a concert with the Young Musician's Foundation Debut Orchestra on February 9, composer John Williams stated that he was hoping to get the chance to write the musical scores for the entire new trilogy. It was implied in Star Wars Insider 144 that he would score the entire "new Star Wars trilogy," but Lucasfilm clarified that he has only been confirmed for Episode VII. Williams was later confirmed for Episode VIII as well, but has not yet been confirmed for Episode IX.
With the passing of Carrie Fisher on December 27, 2016, it is not yet known how Fisher's passing will be handled in terms of what happens with the character of General Leia in Star Wars: Episode IX or any future Star Wars films. However, Lucasfilm has dispelled rumors that it would digitally recreate Fisher in future films. Trevorrow reportedly met with Kennedy on January 10 to discuss possible solutions. Principal photography is set to begin in July 2017.
|Organizations and titles||Sentient species||Vehicles and vessels||Weapons and technology||Miscellanea|
- "An Exclusive Interview with George Lucas"—Star Wars Insider 26
- "Launch Pad"—Star Wars Insider 151
- "Launch Pad"—Star Wars Insider 160