|Star Wars: Episode VIII|
| Chronological information
Star Wars: Episode VIII is the upcoming ninth live-action theatrical Star Wars film and the second film of the sequel trilogy. The sequel to the December 2015 film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, Episode VIII will be produced under the new Disney-Lucasfilm brand. The film will be released on May 26, 2017, and will be written and directed by Rian Johnson.
Unofficial reports claimed in November 2012 that Lawrence Kasdan—who originally wrote the screenplays for both Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi—and Simon Kinberg would divide writing responsibilities for Star Wars Episodes VIII and IX, and both would co-produce all three films of the upcoming sequel trilogy, alongside Kathleen Kennedy. In February 2013, Disney revealed that Kasdan and Kinberg were working on standalone films as well.
During a concert with the Young Musician's Foundation Debut Orchestra on February 9, composer John Williams stated that he was hoping to get the chance to write the musical scores for the entire new trilogy. It was implied in Star Wars Insider 144 that he would score the entire "new Star Wars trilogy," but Lucasfilm clarified that he has only been confirmed for Episode VII.
On June 20, 2014, a spokesperson for director Rian Johnson confirmed that he will write and direct Episode VIII, as well as pen a story treatment for Star Wars: Episode IX. Ram Bergman, Johnson's frequent collaborator, was also confirmed to be brought onto the project as a producer, working alongside Kathleen Kennedy. To prepare for Episode VIII, Johnson and crew have been screening select classic films such as Twelve O'Clock High and Letter Never Sent.
On March 12, 2015, Disney chairman Bob Iger announced the release date for Episode VIII of May 26, 2017, forty years and one day after the release of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, along with confirmation of director and writer Rian Johnson, and the title and release date of Gareth Edwards' Rogue One.
|Organizations and titles||Sentient species||Vehicles and vessels||Weapons and technology||Miscellanea|
- "An Exclusive Interview with George Lucas"—Star Wars Insider 26
- "Launch Pad"—Star Wars Insider 151
- "The Saga Continues"—Star Wars Insider 157
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Keegan, Rebecca (2014-06-20). Rian Johnson boarding 'Star Wars' franchise as writer and director. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved on June 23, 2014.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 DISNEY TO ACQUIRE LUCASFILM LTD.. The Walt Disney Company. thewaltdisneycompany.com (2012-10-30). Retrieved on October 31, 2012.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Chitwood, Adam (February 5, 2015). Exclusive: J.J. Abrams Talks STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS and That New Lightsaber. collider.com. Retrieved on February 6, 2015.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2
- ↑ Kit, Borys (2012-11-20, 4:41pm PST). 'Star Wars': Lawrence Kasdan, Simon Kinberg to Write, Produce - Hollywood Reporter. The Hollywood Reporter. hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved on November 21, 2012.
- ↑ Disney Confirms Standalone Star Wars Films; May Be Released Between New Core Episodes
- ↑ Williams Says He ‘Hopes’ to Work on New Star Wars Trilogy. JWFan (February 11, 2013). Retrieved on February 21, 2013.
- ↑ Star Wars Insider 144
- ↑ . “Clarification: John Williams is confirmed for Episode VII only at this point.”
- ↑ Weber, Wendy (2014-07-27). Rian Johnson on ‘Star Wars: Episode VIII’. Voices. The Sun-Times Media Group. Retrieved on July 28, 2014.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 UTA Signs ‘Star Wars’ Lead Daisy Ridley. cinemablend.com (August 7 2014). Retrieved on August 11, 2014.
- ↑ Ashurst, Sam (October 16, 2014). ILM London Launch: Updates on Star Wars Episode VII & Avengers: Age of Ultron. IGN. Retrieved on October 16, 2014.
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Nicholson, Max (March 20, 2015). Oscar Isaac Will be Back for Star Wars: Episode VIII, Lobbied for X-Men: Apocalypse Role. IGN. Retrieved on March 20, 2015.
- ↑ Caranicas, Peter (November 25, 2014). Below the Line Bookings. Variety. Retrieved on November 27, 2014.
- ↑ Caranicas, Peter (March 25, 2015). Bookings and Signings: Gersh, Innovative Artists Place Below-the-Line Clients. Variety. Retrieved on May 3, 2015.
- DISNEY TO ACQUIRE LUCASFILM LTD. - The Walt Disney Company
- #500 Live: Rian Johnson / Top 5 Films of FS Era. filmspotting.net (August 1, 2014). Retrieved on September 26, 2014.
- Rian Johnson (Looper) Talks with Terry Gilliam (The Zero Theorem) for The Talkhouse Film Podcast (Part 1). thetalkhouse.com (September 18, 2014). Retrieved on September 26, 2014.