Star Wars Special: C-3PO 1: The Phantom Limb is a one-shot Marvel comic book that was published on April 13, 2016. The comic was originally to be published as part of the Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens publishing program in December 2015, but was delayed multiple times. Despite this, certain variant covers of the comic still display the Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens banner. The comic, written by James Robinson with art by Tony Harris, tells the story of how C-3PO received a red-colored arm, as seen in the film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. The comic was later collected in the hardcover compilation of the miniseries Star Wars: Shattered Empire on September 13, 2016.
- Follow everyone's favorite protocol droid as he Journeys to Star Wars: The Force Awakens, in this special one-shot leading up to his appearance in the film! Just how did Threepio get a red arm, anyway? Find out here as the blockbuster creative team of James Robinson and Tony Harris of DC's Starman reunite for the first time in nearly two decades!
- You may be fluent in over six million forms of communication…but this book is a must have in any language!
C-3PO mentions the events of The Phantom Limb in "Poe to the Rescue," an episode of LEGO Star Wars: The Resistance Rises. He tells Poe Dameron "Oh it could fill a book, and very likely will." The episode also notably seems to act as an alternate sequel to the comic. The episode begins with Phasma interrogating Admiral Ackbar, whose capture by the First Order was an important plotline in the comic. The episode then cuts to Poe rescuing C3PO from the acid rain, similar to C3PO's rescue in the comic, albeit with certain differences.
Reportedly, The Phantom Limb is a reference to the 2015 video game Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, in which the protagonist, Venom Snake, has a red prosthetic left arm to replace the one he lost. During the promotional period of both The Phantom Pain and The Force Awakens, fans noted the similarity in the arms, and it subsequently became a minor meme featuring crossovers between the two series. The similarity also caught the attention of Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima, who shared several of the memes on Twitter. Kojima is also a real-life friend of J.J. Abrams, the director of The Force Awakens, who included at least one other reference to Kojima in the film in the form of the cry uttered by the nightwatcher worm.
|Organizations and titles||Sentient species||Vehicles and vessels||Weapons and technology||Miscellanea|
Organizations and titles
Vehicles and vessels
Weapons and technology
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 MARVEL COMICS December 2015 Solicitations. Newsarama.com (September 15, 2015). Retrieved on September 15, 2015.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 STAR WARS SPECIAL C-3PO 1. PREVIEWSworld. Retrieved on November 18, 2015.
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the events of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens in 34 ABY, and Before the Awakening is set in the months prior to the film. In Before the Awakening, Poe Dameron joins the Resistance, and in Star Wars: Poe Dameron, C-3PO has a red arm. Since Star Wars Special: C-3PO 1: The Phantom Limb shows Dameron to be in the Resistance and depicts C-3PO receiving the red arm, it must be set between Before the Awakening and Star Wars: Poe Dameron.
- ↑ LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- ↑ http://whatculture.com/gaming/lego-star-wars-the-force-awakens-10-easter-eggs-secrets-references-you-must-find?page=7
- ↑ http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/hideo-kojima-easter-egg-revealed-in-star-wars-7-the-force-awakens/