The starbird was a stylized depiction of a legendary bird rising up in the air, with its wings spread and its head turned to the right. The Mandalorian weapons expert and graffiti artist Sabine Wren used that symbol as her personal signature.
The design was based on the starbird of ancient legend. The legend stated that a starbird could never die and that if it seemed to be gone, it was actually renewing itself in the heart of a nova.
At some point, the symbol was adopted by Sabine Wren, a Mandalorian warrior who put her own artistic spin on the design, drawing inspiration from Janyor's protest paintings on Bith. During her time with the rebels from Lothal, led by former Jedi padawan Kanan Jarrus, she painted the symbol wherever the small band would strike. Eventually, it became her trademark.
One such victory occurred on the planet of Lothal itself, when Wren sabotaged one of the planet's key air fields. She used the symbol again when she blew away a good part of the Lawbringer during the concurring skirmish. Again, on the rebels' mission to steal Imperial disruptors, she painted her trademark on crates in a hangar bay on Garel, killing or distracting the pursuing stormtroopers as to allowing the Ghost, flown by rebel captain Hera Syndulla, to make its escape. Wren's sign, however, was not made using ordinary paint, but, instead, was a concoction of her own making that resulted in an explosion. She utilized her explosive symbol again at the Spire on Stygeon Prime.
Starbird was also one of many fake identities used by the Lothal rebels to identify the Ghost.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "I'm probably most proud of the Rebels' phoenix logo. I made it one day on a whim while working on really early versions of the Ghost ship, and it's remained unchanged all the way through marketing. It's meant to hint at the Rebel Alliance symbol that will appear in the later films."
- ―Chris Glenn, Star Wars Insider 154
- Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- Star Wars Rebels: Head to Head
- "Designing Star Wars Rebels"—Star Wars Insider 154
- Star Wars Rebels: Sabine My Rebel Sketchbook
- Star Wars Rebels: Rebel Power!
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Rebellion Begins
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars Rebels: Sabine My Rebel Sketchbook
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Idiot's Array"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Droids in Distress"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Rise of the Old Masters"
- ↑ The events of this article take place in or between "Empire Day," which marks the beginning of the fourth year before the Battle of Yavin; and "A Princess on Lothal," which is the first known episode to take place in the third year before the Battle of Yavin. As such, we can deduce that this event takes place in the fourth year before the Battle of Yavin. For more information, see Wookieepedia's Timeline of Star Wars Rebels Events.
- ↑ "Vulnerable Areas"—Star Wars Rebels Magazine 17
- ↑ "Designing Star Wars Rebels"—Star Wars Insider 154