The Starfighter Corps was the Resistance's primary means of aerospace attack and defense. Approximately thirty years after the Battle of Endor, the Corps most notably engaged with the forces of the First Order during the Battle on Takodana and later the Assault on Starkiller Base.
The Starfighter Corps served as the Resistance's primary means of naval space attack and defense, with capital ships nearly impossible to acquire following New Republic demilitarization efforts. As a result, the Resistance had few capital ships.
The Starfighter Corps combat missions typically broke the squadron into paired fighter elements, consisting of a lead and a wingman. During the Corps stay on D'Qar, the Resistance maintained two primary X-wing squadrons codenamed Red Squadron and Blue Squadron. Blue Squadron served as the primary defensive force for the then Resistance base, while Red Squadron served as support. Leading both squadrons was Poe Dameron as Black Leader in his specialized X-wing, Black One.
The youngest and brightest of the Resistance military typically filled out the ranks of the Starfighter Corps, with many of them recruited from local planetary defense forces. Tending to be high spirited, idealistic and closely-knit together, these 'victory kids' were both proud of their service and eager for action. Despite this, veteran pilots such as Poe Dameron and Nien Nunb flew as part of the Corps, bringing years of tactical experience to both inspire and train the next generation of pilots.
Resistance pilots wore standard 'interstellar orange'-colored piloting jumpsuit and were equipped with basic survival equipment when piloting their starfighters. A single box-shaped FreiTek life support unit was attached to their chest, while four signal flares in a bandolier strapped onto their knee helped increase their chances of survival. In addition, they also wore a white, inflatable flight vest and ejection harness. Additionally, they wore padded flight gauntlets and an insulated flight helmet, along with a Guidenhauser flight harneses.
Resistance pilots normally flew in T-70 X-wing fighters, although the Resistance also utilized Resistance transports for ferry troops and personnel. At least 1 pilot, L'ulo, flew an RZ-1 A-wing interceptor early on in the First Order–Resistance conflict.
- The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure (First appearance)
- Before the Awakening
- Poe Dameron 1: Black Squadron, Part I
- Poe Dameron 2: Black Squadron, Part II
- Poe Dameron 3: Black Squadron, Part III
- Poe Dameron 4: Lockdown, Part I
- Poe Dameron 5: Lockdown, Part II
- Poe Dameron 6: Lockdown, Part III
- Poe Dameron 7: The Gathering Storm
- Poe Dameron 8: The Gathering Storm, Part I
- Poe Dameron 13
- Poe Dameron 14
- Poe Dameron 15
- Join the Resistance #1
- Join the Resistance #2
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novel
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel
- The Force Awakens, Part I
- The Force Awakens, Part V
- The Force Awakens, Part VI
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Poe Dameron: Flight Log
- (First identified as Starfighter Corps)