- "There are more bulk freighters here than fleas on a bantha, Threepio!"
- ―Luke Skywalker
The Fondor Shipyards were huge starship construction facilities located in orbit of the planet Fondor, in the Fondor system. Numerous capital ships and freighters were in construction here almost all the time. Presumably because of the shipyard's strategic importance, the shipyards were also guarded by a compliment of Imperial Storm Commandos as well as several Imperial escort carriers.
The shipyards have a varying layout. There were various space stations and construction devices in the area. In addition, for the more secretive projects at the shipyards, a giant shield is enveloped requiring at least 18 shield stations to maintain, and the destruction or otherwise disabling of one will result in the shield collapsing.
Galactic Civil WarEdit
The shipyards were seized by the Galactic Empire shortly after the Battle of Yavin, and used to finalize the construction of Darth Vader's Super Star Destroyer, and the lead ship of the Executor-class Star Dreadnought line, the Executor. The executives were outraged over the Emperor's orders, but nonetheless complied to their orders, hoping it would allow them to steal lucrative project grants from their rival, Kuat Drive Yards, in the future. However, to their anger, Kuat Drive Yards ended up gaining all rights to any future models of Super Star Destroyers.
Nonetheless, despite this setback, the Empire somehow allowed Fondor to develop an Executor-class Star Dreadnought variant possessing cloaking capabilities. The Rebel Alliance, learning of this development, made an attack against the orbital shipyards in year 3 ABY, which resulted in the destruction of the vessel before it was ever completed, or deployed. In actuality, the Empire, under the Emperor's orders, deliberately leaked the intel of the ship's construction to the Rebel Alliance to grant them a victory as to ensure that they grow overconfident enough to be drawn into a trap.
After the Battle of Endor, the shipyards were renamed to the Fondor Independent Shipyards[source?] and were used by the Alliance to Restore the Republic. A brief supply problem was solved after Han Solo escorted the two Venerated Ones to their home planet of Vandelhelm.
Yuuzhan Vong warEdit
Fondor was the location of a crucial battle against the Yuuzhan Vong. Having been deceived by the Vong, the New Republic was caught fatally off guard by the attack at Fondor. Many Republic vessels were lost, most vaporized by an overly hasty firing of Centerpoint Station. Orbital Shipyard 1321, one of the orbiting shipyards, was rammed by several Yuuzhan Vong coralskippers during the battle, and destroyed.
Second Galactic Civil WarEdit
As of 40 ABY, Fondor had allied with, and was producing ships for, the Confederation, and was soon targeted by Joint Chief of State Jacen Solo. However, the attempt to take the planet, including the yards and other assets, intact, failed, causing Solo to order the bombing of Oridin, a major Fondorian city, with the result being a split in the GA, but a more unified Fondor. During the battle, one of the docks repelled a GA boarding party. Others sustained heavy fire from Imperial and Galactic Alliance ships. It was revealed that the Fondorians had hidden large numbers of ships in the docks by making it appear that the ships were under construction.
- Star Wars Adventures 1: Hunt the Sun Runner
- Star Wars Adventures 2: The Cavern of Screaming Skulls
- Star Wars Adventures 4: Jango Fett vs. the Razor Eaters
- Star Wars Adventures 6: The Warlords of Balmorra (Mentioned only)
- (Mentioned only)
- Han Solo at Stars' End comic (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Empire at War
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
- Star Wars Missions 19: Bounty on Bonadan
- "Galaxywide NewsNets"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 5
- Darth Vader Strikes (First appearance)
- The Serpent Masters (Mentioned only)
- Revenge of the Jedi
- Vader Adrift (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars 98: Supply and Demand
- X-wing: The Bacta War (Mentioned only)
- Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial (Mentioned only)
- Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse
- Force Heretic III: Reunion (Mentioned only)
- The Final Prophecy (Mentioned only)
- The Unifying Force (Mentioned only)
- Exile (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Death Star II Limited (Card: Red Squadron 7)
- Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook
- Galaxy Guide 3: The Empire Strikes Back
- The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- Lords of the Expanse
- The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons
- Rebellion Era Sourcebook
- The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 47 (EXE1, Executor)
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 8
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook