A stasis field was used as a preservation device, mainly for biological tissue.
One specific type of stasis device kept its occupant's mind awake, but their body was trapped and remained inactive. While their body held in stasis, they apparently did not require sustenance to survive. It is unknown if they would still die from old age, though this seems unlikely. All starships capable of hyperspace travel used stasis fields to protect the crew from the possible effects of traveling faster than the speed of light.
Only Jedi were capable of controlling these type of stasis fields. The only recorded use of this device was when six members of the Jedi High Council trapped Dark Jedi Volfe Karkko in one. Karkko was incarcerated for a millennium before persuading Aayla Secura to set him free.
Dread Lord Darth Krayt claimed to have been in stasis at some point in his life (though there is no way to determine if he did so once, or more than once, or how long that stasis was maintained), even though he also claimed to have perfected techniques used for prolonging life. He managed however to preserve his physical form well beyond his normal lifespan, but not without consequences.
Boba Fett was also "rumored" to have used a stasis field in extreme circumstances, though he, as is well known, preferred "disintegrations."
- Star Wars: Darth Plagueis (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Republic 32: Darkness, Part 1
- Prey (Ambiguously canonical source)
- Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon (First appearance)
- Rebel Dawn
- And the Band Played On: The Band's Tale
- Therefore I Am: The Tale of IG-88
- Shadows in the Force
- Jedi Search
- I, Jedi
- Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen
- Star Wars: Legacy 1: Broken, Part 1
- Star Wars: Legacy—War 1 (Appears in flashback(s))